Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Summer Runs List

Dear All
The summer runs list is under construction if anyone has suggestions for pubs we haven't visited previously or new events they would like to see incorporated could they please let me know by the end of the week.
Thanks
Paul

Re: The Summer Runs List

Thanks Paul for pulling this together.

I'd like to see

- train out bike back
- somewhere else apart from Thetford when we drive somewhere: Chicksands/Epping forest/Somewhere in Rockingham are all a similar distance. I'm open to any suggestion.

Norman

Hi Paul,

A few north of the city would be good, e.g. Oakington, Longstanton, Waterbeach, as well as the more common Milton and Horningsea. Have we ever been to the Black Horse in Rampton?

Also some "show us yours"

Most of you won't know me as I only ride when it is sunny and it hasn't been sunny for a little while. However when it is sunny I ride around Royston quite a lot which has some good trails and even the odd hill which is a change from the normal flatlands. Could be a nearby 'drive and ride' destination.

We also went to the White Swan in Connington last year which ranks high on my list of most enjoyable rides. Great little pub, which stays open until the last man leaves and convieniently close to home for me for a change. Would like to see this make a 'sultry night in the beer garden' appearance.

Arrhhh the Black Horse at Rampton, we use to go there 20 odd years ago, until we had some bits off our bikes nicked, then I think it closed...Has it reopened? Why would you want to go to Rampton anyway? (Que outcry from the marshes)

The Black Horse looks open when I bike past it - black boards outside etc. They seem to have an active Facebook page. It looks like a good pub and it would be nice to have a 20 minute ride home, not like the hour tonight!

Mike C, I'd like to do some riding round Royston, it looks interesting on the OS map...

Hi Paul,

Can you put me down for the Over ride again - no earlier than 30th June, please. (In fact, 30th June should be OK.)

Otherwise, I echo what Norman says - good ideas there. What about another BIG Adventure too?

Cheers

TOM

The train-out, bike back could easily bring in some 'Royston action'.

Last year, in late July, we rode back from Baldock and rode the spectacular landscape of the hills around Royston, before getting soaked on the way back from Barrington.

PT