Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Train Out - Bike Back

Hi All,

Three choices for tonight's ride, it seems:-

Ride from Newmarket - train time 18:44 from Cambridge, approx. 27 miles, pub stop would probably be Six Bells, Fulbourn;

Ride from Elsenham - train time 18:51 from Cambridge (later from stops further south, such as Shelford). I have the GPX for this ride and it's 31.6 miles, pub stop would probably be Three Horseshoes in Shelford;

Ride from Baldock - train time 18:55 from Cambridge (again, this rain stops en route if you're a bit late), approx. 32 miles, plenty of choices for pub stops.

What's the consensus?

PT

Re: Train Out - Bike Back

Elsenham would be my choice

Err, please may I withdraw my preference - can get out tonight. But this thread is suspiciously quiet. It's nothing to do with that face-ache thing is it?

I'd like to join, and wouldn't mind going with the wind.

Cheers

Hi Pete,

The conversation was started by Bobby on the Facebook page so there are a few posts there too. I'm posting on both!

Preference seems to be for Newmarket - 18:44 train from Cambridge. I have the route in my head! But, it starts on Dullingham Road and then goes up to Wood Ditton.

Regards

TOM

I'll be joining and cycling with the wind sounds good. I am not in the facebook group (have requested to join!) so please keep the forum up to date. Currently I am assuming 18.44 from Cambs Stn.
Mark

I'm planning on being out. Will unpack the long pants from winter storage. June? Whiskey Tango!

Pale Rider
Hi Pete,

The conversation was started by Bobby on the Facebook page so there are a few posts there too. I'm posting on both!

Preference seems to be for Newmarket - 18:44 train from Cambridge. I have the route in my head! But, it starts on Dullingham Road and then goes up to Wood Ditton.

Regards

TOM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting, I am envious because it looks an interesting route, possibly taking in Dane Bottom. Maybe we can do it again in the future. Have a good ride all.

Pete

Hi Pete,

We did indeed ride Dane Bottom, although it was mis-heard by some as 'Jane's Bottom'. Certainly a nice, shapely valley, and the landscape was good too.

Fair bit of mud last night as the previously dry surface was lifting, but the Roman Road was good for the last haul toward Fulbourn.

Good test of trivia skills in the Six Bells as the quiz was on - can anyone tell me which US president was in power when Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon? Cliff? Bobby?

PT

I was just sat here thinking, I'm sure there haven't been any presidents called Cliff. And have there been any called Bobby? Obviously time for the weekend.