Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fenduro preview - pub = Plough and Fleece Horningsea

Good morning!

The Fenduro Preview is this thursday - even if you have'nt signed up to the event (now full) come along and see what your are missing out on / gladly avoiding.

I have added a new section of trail called "throw away society" - it will make sense - so bring your top tech skills, or if you don't have any - some antiseptic cream. Also - some bits are a bit overgrown - I would wear long socks if I were you.

The pub stop will be the plough and fleece in horningsea - will call them in advance to get some chips in.

Splendid

Re: Fenduro preview - pub = Plough and Fleece Horningsea

Hi,

What is the Fenduro trials going to be like, Flat, Fast or technical ?

Should I bring a full-sus or hard tail ?

See you Thurdays,
Errol

Hey Errol,

The trails are pretty intense. I would recommend 140 mm travel each end plus full body armor. There is one particular descent with a gradient of over 0.5%, not to be taken lightly.

See you then

Adrian, where have you been? 140mm travel is 'trail' rated only. 150mm is required if it is a true enduro race.

Sounds fun, especially the pub and chips sector. I shall be along. Usual start location / time?

Yep - 7:30 at brookside.

I reccied the ride on wednesday morning before work - as a general overview for all

1. We won't ride the sections over private land, access has been given for the event day only and I don't want to put that at risk by pissing off the farmer.

2. As we need to divert around these sections, there is a bit of roading it towards wicken fen - they are quiet roads though so very little traffic risk

3. Fortunately - most of the grass has been cut, this means less rash, but it does feel a little sticky. There are still a few overgrown sections so wear long socks

4. We will ride some "hand crafted" trails early on - these are pretty rubbish - and work best at 60 - 75% speed.

5. Fentatsic

Happy days, see you at the start

Looking forward to it!

I will be missing the main event so definitely out tonight.

Richard

I will be there on a Fenduro-optimised bike

Me too!

Phew! 44.53 miles tonight. That's an epic in these parts, and my first of the year.

Thanks to Adrian for a very interesting route, and for waiting for us stragglers sat the back. Hope all got home without incident.