Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
There will be no pub at the end of my next ride!

Dear fellow CAMMTBers some of you may already be aware of my regular trips to Kenya...part holiday and part voluntary work with a charity that support education, healthcare and wildlife conservation in a poor region of Kenya.

I will be attempting a 150Km bike ride on mostly dirt roads where the challenge won't be the wildlife but puncture avoidance (ignoring the tubeless debate) as the roads are littered with acacia tree thorns....and the red dust i will have to breath as lorries and 4 x 4 vehicles drive past me!

Anyway it all in a good cause so have a look at my just giving page (see the link below) for more details of what the charity is all about and if you havent already please make a small donations to support this worthy cause and me doing a very long ride without a pub stop onroute!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Simon-Roberts23

Cheers

Simon

Re: There will be no pub at the end of my next ride!

you deserve to be sponsored for doing a ride with no pub at the end

Isn't your boiler over due for a service?

having been out there myself, ( i got married over there) i'm struggling to think which part of the country you are describing when you say poor.
from what i remember anywhere outside of a city can be described as poor and the cities are not much better.

i don't think you need to watch out for the 4X4's so much as the bedford mini van buses. they were everywhere like a rash.

when i came back it made me feel so privalaged to live in such a "rich" country.

good for you in doing such a selfless act, and best of luck.