Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new started

Hi i found your website and am very interested in the group, I'm very new to mountain biking and am looking for a group to join, As i am a beginner do you think this group be suitable for me.

Im 40 and have a good level of fitness i would very interested to hear back with your thoughts and comments.

Re: new started

Hi Simon,

Good to hear from you. Best way to find out is to come along and give it a go! We are a welcoming bunch and do wait at each decision point if someone is dropping back. You may be ok though, as around here fitness is more important than technique given the landscape is quite tame. Age is no issue either, Paul Stafford who is about 70 is quite often at the sharp end of things...puts us younguns to shame!

I guess at this time of year reliability is important, so do bring a bike in good working order, some decent lights (or borrow some) and wet weather / cold weather gear as required.

Perhaps see you out there soon!

Adrian

I too would say just come along and give it a go. I did just that a few months ago and even with a low level of fitness at the time and a 14 year old lad with me, we were welcomed and people always waited for us, and still do for me as the lad had a bit of a whoopsy a few weeks ago and is just waiting for his shoulder to heal before he comes along again. If you have a good level of fitness, I really don't think you will be struggling at all :)

Adriano
Age is no issue either, Paul Stafford who is about 70 is quite often at the sharp end of things

Is Stafford only 70? He looks much older...

How come I am the butt of the jokes on this thread ??