Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Three Horseshoes 15/11

Who is up for tomorrow evening then? Think I have just about shifted this cold thing so I should be up for a ride out, taxi duties permitting of course.

With all the chat last ride about tyres, do I need to be changing mine to something that will handle mud as it appears everyone has "mud" tyres as well as the ones they have been using. If I do need to change them, I am open to suggestions on what sticks well on the wetter, muddier days?

Ta
Steve

Re: The Three Horseshoes 15/11

Hello!

Yep I will be out, perhaps skip pub as it will be a long ride home.

Mud tyres - controversial subject....I rate maxxis - their 29er mud tyre is called the beaver, 26er is/was the medusa.Legendary tyres that are harder to find nowadays. The fact that I have stockpiled them in 26 (about 5 pairs - no I will NEVER sell any - ever!)is the only reason my winter bike is a 26er.

nextdaytyres have good deals. the 2.0 version is the one.

I'm planning on riding. Racing Ralphs still on... :)

Chris
I'm planning on riding. Racing Ralphs still on... :)

But you are a nutter so your tyres don't count, lol Assuming this is the Chris I think it is

Unlikely to make it at the mo.
Single speed has mud x on rear and either 29 Bontrager acx or 27.5+ Rocket Ron on front dependant on which wheel goes in.
When it gets proper muddy in Jan/Feb may have to run a 29 mud x up front too.

no out tonight and i'm still on my intermediate tyres until i fall of or get in gear and go full winter mode

summer is 2.1 Racing Ralph front and 2.1 Fast Fred rear
intermediate is 2.1 Racing Ralph front and 2.1 conti race king rear
winter is 2.1 Rocket Ron front and 1.8 Rocket Ron rear
swamp conditions is 2.1 Maxis Medussa front and 1.8 Maxis Medussa rear

only used swamp conditions in 1 race in 2010, otherwise winter setup from now ish until it dries out in spring.

pat

Thanks for this info Pat - very useful. What setup do you use for "Summer with cool easterly breeze", and also "intermediate but risk of unseasonal frost"?

Hope to be out this evening.

Nobby Nics for me tonight, mud x when it gets very gloopy.

Adriano
Thanks for this info Pat - very useful. What setup do you use for "Summer with cool easterly breeze", and also "intermediate but risk of unseasonal frost"?