Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MUD XR or Maxxis Beaver?

Simple question as you guys know the tyres and routes we do.

Bontrager Mud XR 29 or Maxxis Beaver 29?

The Mud XR seems to be designed at full on mud, with heavier, stronger sidewalls and the Maxxis is designed to be a great all rounder thats also very good in the mud, but not as good in deep mud as the Mud XR but is less draggy on the harder stuff. The Maxxis is marginally lighter but will apparently rip easier (no idea how easy) and the Mud XR is heavier but will take slightly more of a beating (no idea how much slightly more is either?)

I saw on the other thread both of these were recommended, and I am stuck on which might be best for me over winter with CAMMTB?

I will say, that I don't think either would be a bad decision, in fact, thats the problem, they are both highly recommended and have great reviews, so good, I am struggling to choose between them? I have had both in my car, hovering over the complete transaction button, lol

Cheers
Steve

Re: MUD XR or Maxxis Beaver?

Easily sorted in the end, I have bought one set for my bike and one set of the other for Mike's bike and while he is not riding I can test out both sets and see which one I prefer

Mud x for me

Depends on whether the route is clockwise or anti-clockwise, and whether your driving leg is on the right of left. You see, Mud-x deflect under load in a way that favors traction on the inside turn, whereas Beavers have more bite mid powerband. So - if riding a clockwise route and your right leg is the driving leg, then Mud-x. If anticlockwise and right leg is the driving leg, then Beaver.

Of course, this is utter bullshit and I don't know why I even bothered writing it, but I am beyond the point of no return now, deleting it would be a double waste of time. Perhaps the actual answer is 42...or generally the opposite of whatever Paul Stafford recommends. On an absolutely dreadful Sunday ride over to Wimpole last year he was raving about riding without mudguards in winter, saying that some guy on a forum (in an arid country) had advised "wearing a removable layer". HA - he was absolutely caked, probably found mud in various orifices for the next month or so...

Does that help?

cant say i have used either so my following comments probably count for nothing, but as Adrian said, past the point of no return now.

The Mud X i have heard said can be a little draggy but cant comment on that myself, but they do appear to clear the mud especialy the sloppy stuff well.

in the past i have favoured the Maxis Medussa, they had exceptional mud clerance almost regardless of the conditions, but their fault, if you can call it that was there was no center ridge of knobbles so riding at speed on tarmac caused this weird snaking feeling as the bike moved from one set of knobbles to the other and the bike fealt like it was always searching for the right line even if you were not......the Beaver appears to have resolved that and looks much like a specialized storm control, or a schwalbe racing ralph, i dont think you can go far wrong there. mud clearance remains to be seen.

i might be tempted to put a mud x on the front for grip and sure stearing and a beaver on the back for reduced rolling resistance. i regularly use different styles and width tyres to give me the front end grip and the speed.

just remember speed and grip are usualy opposite ends of the sea saw, and Mike may need a bit of a reasuring ride when he makes it back on the bike, fast is fun but a quick way to more time off the bike if you have dented your confidence.

Adriano
Depends on whether the route is clockwise or anti-clockwise, and whether your driving leg is on the right of left. You see, Mud-x deflect under load in a way that favors traction on the inside turn, whereas Beavers have more bite mid powerband. So - if riding a clockwise route and your right leg is the driving leg, then Mud-x. If anticlockwise and right leg is the driving leg, then Beaver.

Of course, this is utter bullshit and I don't know why I even bothered writing it, but I am beyond the point of no return now, deleting it would be a double waste of time. Perhaps the actual answer is 42...or generally the opposite of whatever Paul Stafford recommends. On an absolutely dreadful Sunday ride over to Wimpole last year he was raving about riding without mudguards in winter, saying that some guy on a forum (in an arid country) had advised "wearing a removable layer". HA - he was absolutely caked, probably found mud in various orifices for the next month or so...

Does that help?

You are completely mad, but I like your style, right up my street

Pat
cant say i have used either so my following comments probably count for nothing, but as Adrian said, past the point of no return now.

The Mud X i have heard said can be a little draggy but cant comment on that myself, but they do appear to clear the mud especialy the sloppy stuff well.

in the past i have favoured the Maxis Medussa, they had exceptional mud clerance almost regardless of the conditions, but their fault, if you can call it that was there was no center ridge of knobbles so riding at speed on tarmac caused this weird snaking feeling as the bike moved from one set of knobbles to the other and the bike fealt like it was always searching for the right line even if you were not......the Beaver appears to have resolved that and looks much like a specialized storm control, or a schwalbe racing ralph, i dont think you can go far wrong there. mud clearance remains to be seen.

i might be tempted to put a mud x on the front for grip and sure stearing and a beaver on the back for reduced rolling resistance. i regularly use different styles and width tyres to give me the front end grip and the speed.

just remember speed and grip are usualy opposite ends of the sea saw, and Mike may need a bit of a reasuring ride when he makes it back on the bike, fast is fun but a quick way to more time off the bike if you have dented your confidence.

Good idea going for different front and back, didn't really think of that one though I have seen lots of people running different tyres front and back. Great idea about giving Mike a bit of confidence when he gets back on, probably get him the draggiest tyres I can find to slow him down to my speed I reckon a couple of tractor tyres might fit the bill there, lol

Pat

Just got my new mud tyres. On the back is going a "Maxxis Beaver 26x2.0 Black Dual Compound eXCeption F60A/70A". On the front a Bontrager XR Mud Team Issue 26 TLR 26 x 2.0. The only issue I see with the proposed front fitment is there is no centre ridge of knobbles.....still I doubt very much if I will be able to tell any difference.

all this talk of tyres has got me thinking about my setup.

today my new Schwalbe Thunder Burt's have arrived, just in time for next summer.

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/offroad-reader/thunder-burt.html

last one in A + E is a sissy

Steve : probably get him the draggiest tyres I can find to slow him down to my speed I reckon a couple of tractor tyres might fit the bill there, lol

your wish is my command

Check this out

and here is one for Pete F at the pub stop

locks

Sticking to the subject title, I am probably going to remove the Mud XR and fit a Beaver to the front as well. The downside of the Mud XR are the alternate nobbles - it weaves a bit in a straight line (but to be fair I may have not optimised tyre pressures yet). The other downside is with last weeks sticky mud, it was much easier to wash off the mud from the Beaver than the mud XR. So, no upside yet for the Mud XR.

Well, so far.

I bought the Beaver and the Mud XR. I have not even tried the Beaver yet as the Mud XR has been outstanding in grip, clearing mud out of the tread and enabling me to keep going and even on the road its not giving me any major drag or headaches. I will try the Beavers out one day, but probably not until the weather changes for less muddy or I wreck one of the Mud XR, they have been awesome to date, though lower pressure with latex tubes would be even more awesome I feel. ;)

So I've always liked a bit of Beaver but use mud x on my bike.

Pete T
Sticking to the subject title, I am probably going to remove the Mud XR and fit a Beaver to the front as well. The downside of the Mud XR are the alternate nobbles - it weaves a bit in a straight line (but to be fair I may have not optimised tyre pressures yet). The other downside is with last weeks sticky mud, it was much easier to wash off the mud from the Beaver than the mud XR. So, no upside yet for the Mud XR.

OK, Last night's (27h Dec) test was with Beaver on front and Mud XR on rear. Steering/straight line stability much improved, but at 35psi front 40 psi rear, drag seemed worse. I was mainly losing ground on the climbs, and as all up weight is unchanged, I think its down to both loss of power (fitness), or increased drag.

Oh, and we didn't get any mud after all, it was all frozen solid.

On thursday I'll try running increased tyre pressures.