Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New E bike?

Thinking of getting an E bike to help out on the MTB runs. Anyone ever had one and anyone ever tried to lighten it a bit, so some carbon add ons, seat post, wheels etc? Just not sure what tyres to run on something like that

Re: New E bike?

Have you got a friend you are thinking of bringing along as it's not something you need as you are usually at the front. The hills round here don't really warrant an electric bike in my mind.

you could take the battery off they're quite heavy....

Hi Steve,

An interesting question - and one we will need to answer at some point in the next few years as global demographic trends towards an ageing population increase the likelihood of more elderly people taking an interest in the sport/group and needing to find ways of keeping up. There are alternatives (EPO / Steroids) but the powers that be in the bike industry are trying to suppress their use in order to boost sales of said e-bikes or lightweight normal bikes. There is some interesting analysis that plots the correlation between doping being outlawed, the fall of the USSR and uplift in sales of carbon bikes. All a big bike industry conspiracy masked as "the war on drugs" or some shit like that - I think certain nations just run out of countries to bomb the fuck out of so invent meaningless wars on stuff. Funny that they never declared "the war on tea" or the "war on guns and donuts" - probably because those wars would be attacking the very identity of the countries waging war. Also - how would you have a "war on guns" without guns - attack them with sticks? It's all very confusing. Perhaps we should just stop having wars....

Anyway, concerns about weight are legit. I think even the topend ebikes http://singletrackworld.com/2016/06/breaking-new-focus-e-bike-launched/ will be around the 12-14kg mark and they are all carboned out already, and also likely to be very expensive. My advice would be to buy a standard bike and attach a very nice bell to it.

Another consideration is that a UK legal e-bike will be limited to 15.5 mph. Just checked my strava and we routinely exceed this speed when on tarmac.

And on the road I am aware the limiting factor is us single-speeders.

....any way you would have so much shit ripped out of you if you were the first to turn up to a CAMMTB ride on an ebike, that it probably is not worth the humiliation

Adriano
Hi Steve,

An interesting question - and one we will need to ....................nd ebikes http://singletrackworld.com/2016/06/breaking-new-focus-e-bike-launched/ will be around the 12-14kg mark and they are all carboned out already, and also likely to be very expensive. My advice would be to buy a standard bike and attach a very nice bell to it.

waffle waffle waffle....are you trying to compete with Donkon on the "who can write the most crap" department

I object to that comment Paul.

Firstly, my contribution is not "waffle". I would argue that it is a clear and compelling summary of the influence of demographic shifts and geopolitical agendas on the likelihood of e-bikes infiltrating CamMtb

Secondly, I am no fool - why would I try and compete with Duncan on "waffle"?? that would be like me trying to out sprint Usain Bolt, or you trying to be faster than me on a climb.

Thirdly, what does your comment actually contribute to the issue? By all means critique, but offer some original thought and/or alternatives whilst doing so...

You see in "The good olde days" Everyone talked a load of waffle (and the forum was very buoyant with many users)...and it was fun , interesting .
Now with the exception of a very few it seems people are ridiculed for having a bit of fun or making a point/suggestion.
What's strava?

isn't Strava that thing you put fish in when you want to BBQ them?

Initially I thought it was a recreational drug or some new kind of hookup app - kept having enthusiastic people, usually in very tight clothes, approach and ask me if I was "on strava"...Turns out I was wrong and it's actually just a wavelength on the electromagnetic spectrum invisible to those who don't give a shit.

**ck me mannnn ain't you tried it? It's bangin, all my brothers used it on a regular basis.... safe as houses.

Norm, is that a role of fat or a carefully circumnavigated erection in a donkey kong stylee?

that would be telling 😀