Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hi everyone

Hi everyone,

I'm a British Cycling Level 3 MTB coach currently in the process of partially relocating to the Cambridge area and am wondering if theres any ways I can help out with the club, things I can do etc?

Any information is really appreciated. Hopefully see you all on the trails soon.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Hi everyone

Hi Dave

I can't answer your question, but thought I would pop by and say welcome and I am sure someone will be along that can answer you :)

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the message. Nice to meet you. Hope the trails are running nice and fast today.

Hi Dave,

Welcome! the club seems fairly self sustaining but sure there are ways to chip in.

@tom - some technique training on how to "descend chutes" on the busway?

Hi Dave.

Good to hear from you and wellcome

I am sure we have one or two people that could do with some coaching, mentioning no names...Adriano, Donkon, Bony Tony, Eco etc

Look forward to meeting you !

Paul - what are you chatting about you big goose?

...Honk honk

Hi Dave,
Your more than welcome to ride with us but I think in an organisational way (is that a word??) were aloof in an insurance unrepentive way...although Pastey de Tom is an RC.................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no not Roman cafflic more of a rightcuntridiction if we were 2b drawn on such matters.
That's why non of us are.
Anyway mate, when you gonna partake of the mud?

....Translation to post above.....

Hi Dave, I am Donkon. (Strange Middle Bit making little sense to any of us, probably another language) When are you gonna come out with us ?

@ Adriano, Meeeeeowww!!

PT

Hi Dave and welcome.

As you may have noticed there are a few "characters" in the group.

I use the word group as that is just what we are, a bunch of like-minded people that turn up at a mutually agreeable place and time on a Tuesday and Thursday.

There is no "club" status either legally, organisationally or inferred.

What you get is an indeterminate number of people turning up on any given evening depending on weather, pub, time of year and any other number of random factors.

The route is "usually" to the pub listed on the website runs list but is subject to change on the night and the route is decided by committee at the beginning of the ride.

There are a couple of people in the group who could be considered “enthusiastic” in their riding and may be open to pointers on improving speed, technique, avoiding crashes etc. if nothing else it will make for an informative conversation in the pub with a professional view for once rather than opinions based on conversations in the past, reading MBR and the fountain of all truths and facts….Google.

So Welcome to Cambridge, the flat lands where if you stop pedalling…..you stop, and hope to see you out soon.

Good on you Pat for adding a dash of reason to this thread, but don't underplay the "flat lands" theme - can get pretty gnarly as the gradient drops to zero.....

photo Chute_zpslsqirvnp.png

and here we have a picture of Tom's Collar bone as featured in MBR after is spill on a "Chute" in MBR's words, on the right is the guided bus way where this alleged Chute exists.

having ridden the entire busway to StIves and back from Cambridge, I can definitively state there is a total of 35m elevation gained in 42Km, and on a road bike I was never troubled by this alleged chute.

Cheers for the warm welcome everyone. Nice to see some characters, certainly makes the riding more fun. I'll be down in Cambridge in the next couple of weeks so I'll be armed with my bike and look forward to seeing the sites of Suffolk

Hopefully see you out soon then Dave :)

I have just seen Adrian's photo collection (in this thread, not the other ones). In one of them there is a bloke on a bike apparently carrying a mattress. Probably to put at the bottom of the chute.

That'll be where Pastey went wrong then?!?