Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Suggestions for routes

Hi all, first time posting on here, I'm looking for suggestions for some routes to ride my MTB on. Due to work & family commitments I tend to ride early mornings, summer time mostly road bike but in the wet my 29er. I live at the top end of Cambridge (Arbury, close to Histon Road/Kings Hedges Road) and usually ride out on the busway, across the green dragon, thru fen Ditton to Lode then back cross country to the tow path along the cam. I'm looking for varied routes not fussed which direction they take me.

Thanks in advance,

Tris.

Re: Suggestions for routes

Hi Tristan

My advice (apart from joining us) is to get an os map of the area and explore. You'll find some routes that are attractive and fun and some that are deadly dull and bloody hard work. I'm sure you'll be able to tell the difference. Try heading down the Roman road or out west around Kingston or Toft

Have a look on strava, most of the off road paths are tracked.

Areas to look - Roman road (south east out of cambridge), winpole, orwell clunge pit, woods north of Barrington quarry.

Chris

As Chris said, Strava is great for picking up routes around areas and as Tony said, best bet is to find an evening on a Tuesday or Thursday and join the group, it makes riding a whole lot more fun in a group anyway :)

Cheers guys, got myself an OS map (but it don't cover north of the A14 so got the month sub to the iPad app...).

Feeling a bit under the weather this week, but yeah, i'll try to get some time to meet up sometime. I'll have a look at the routes you have all suggested. The Roman Road though, cant see a route for that other than the A603, or am i being stupid? I ride my road bike down to Orwell, so now would be a good time to explore off road around there.

Thanks again,

Tris.

Another question, my front light is a Cateye Volt 800, would this be suitable? Or would I need to be looking for something brighter?

Actually, Stava is pants for routes, use one of these to look for routes

https://www.mapmyride.com/auth/login/

https://ridewithgps.com/

Both are good and should suit your purpose ;)

here is one I found from CAMMTB
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3137323

Steve

Oh dear..... I'm with Tony.