Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wheel Builders. Where is Damian?

Hello hello.

Have 3 wheels to build up. Looking for a decent local wheel builders. Have heard of some chap called Damian in histon - anyone know of this person and how I can contact.

Or....anyone know an alternative

Re: Wheel Builders. Where is Damian?

Do it yourself?

actually not that hard.

:)

Cool. I will do the front rims myself as it is there is no dish. Did you use a truing stand?

I did a one day course with David Green
Basic info but good enough to get you confident and prevent silly mistakes...

http://www.cambridgewheelbuilding.co.uk/index.html

Recommended.

Jerry Turner of JT cycles reputedly builds a mean wheel. Just don't expect it very quickly.

Google JT Cycles in Chettisham.

Tom

if you are willing to "have a go" i have a jig you can borrow.

i would recomend taking some detailed pictures of your wheel before you start, or better yet have another wheel to hand with the same lacing pattern, saves time and mistakes.

A good guide here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Dishing a wheel isn't a big deal - the spokes are different length so it naturally happens.

I went the ghetto route and just mounted the wheel on the bike rather than using a stand. You can make a tuning indicator out of some tape and card and stick it to the fork / frame. Although to be honest I didn't even do this, just trued by eye and feel.

I built a rear wheel for my road bike - I followed the Sheldon Brown procedure ended up with my "pulling spokes" on the inside of the hub flange rather than the outside.
Does that matter you ask? Probably not, as the original wheel was built that way and lasted 36,000 miles.

(The theory is there is less fatigue on the bend of the spoke in the flange)

Thanks for all the information! have built one before so have a reasonable idea.

@Pat - yes, would appreciate borrowing the jig. Will be doing the build in march so can pop round late feb?

This is all part of my bike reduction strategy. Going from 8 down to 4, but building more wheelset so I can switch around between plus / normal.

Marvelous!

No problem, just let me know when you want it and we can meet up.
Might even drop it off on my way home from work one night. Would be about 6:15 if that would help