Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Forum Layout

Sorry but I don't like it and don't see the point. The forum is hardly over used and not somewhere you get lost in. Why make it look even less well used. Facebook is already doing that.

I totally agree Tony.

Was this discussed at all?
As a minimum could the second forum click be removed (pic of water tower) so I don't have to practise morse code to get to that days ride discussion.
It is totally unnecessary to tart OUR simple forum up. Bigger is not better, more complicated does not mean more successful. Facebook started the confusion now this has made things worse.
By the way the clock is in the wrong time zone.

Thanks for all your comments. We have noted the negative ones and will be looking into what can be done within the limitations of this basic platform that we use. As noted some people like the old design of everything in one column and we will try and accommodate that in the new design over the next few days. Questions have been asked about "why are we changing the forum". Over the last few months / years we have had so many negative comments about the forum and how basic and behind the times it is that we thought it was time to at least have a look. We have been discussing this at length with people that have been out over the last few months. The main complaint has been that people have to wade through waffle which takes up too much time so they do not use it so much. Facebook has also been accused of taking away the posts from the forum. We can actually look at the stats of the forum back until 2010 and there has been no significant drop in forum posts or reply's since then. The biggest issue is that the basic platform we use does not give us the ability to "test" a new design and recruit "testers" so we are having to work on the "live" site. You are never going to please everyone, we are doing this in our spare time and unpaid - we hope you all understand.

Very good, no.... good reply.

I believe I can fly.... sorry wrong forum.

People are good, huge numbers are bad, we're never going to persuade a road type person to understand proper cycling.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO?...................yes and no, change is ....I believe, I believe that

ooooo ang on son....oooooo I can feel it in me waters.

I HAVE A DREAM

We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always ride ahead

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and ride with true meaning of its disipline: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men, except roadies are created equal......"

I have a dream that my four (-3) little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by their tyre size or their ability to drink roadies under the table, but by the content of their character.

But not only that:

Let freedom ring from Hobsons conduit.

Let freedom ring from Newton Obelisk.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of the wimpole belts.

From every bridle/footpath/way, let freedom ring.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream.

And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every bar stool, from every county and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children,Hairy arsed mtb men, CX weirdos and the other lot, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the song that is

Free at last! Free at last!

I echo Duncan's sentiment entirely - whatever it was....

Appreciate the efforts to improve, but it seems to me the forum is now an effort to navigate.Given it was low volume I am not sure it was required at all.

I generally appreciated the nonsense and find categorizing it a bit anal really

I think I understand the gripe against subdividing the forum, but it's no issue to me. Going back to the old format won't suddenly make it more usable than it currently is.

It's still hard to use on my phone compared to other unspecified social networking applications and sites. And on the PC an extra mouse click really is no issue.

My gripe with the new layout(s?), is that I seem to have to post on two different forums, whereas before I just posted on one.

I appreciate that the new layout would be necessary if we had a high volume of traffic, like on the Time Trial Forum I use. But we don't have a high volume, despite having to post twice instead of once.

Please can the Fairies change it back to roughly how it was?

On a technical issue, I have tried to use the new forum on both my (work) ipad and my Android phone. The forum page does not re-size correctly for the device, so the Quote and Reply buttons are off screen to the right and no way to slide the screen to reach them. Landscape / portrait makes no difference.

I have had to resort to laptop in order to post this.

Richard

What happens is someone posts on the wrong bit; for example if they try and sell something under 'general chit chat'?
Will they be taken out and shot?
I'm too frightened to do or say the wrong thing, so I'll probably do nothing.
This is the sad thing about it all. I have an egg cup I have no use for, and would like to re-gift it, but I suspect I'm barking up the wrong end of the stick.

DF

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
DF, you've said everything I was trying to. Again I ask, was this disscussed?
Were not trying to sell ourselves, we want a simple fun life with a handfull of like minded people.

@Dream facilitator. What an unusual name? do you help people get to sleep, or influence the kinds of dreams they have once asleep? Or do you mean "dream" in the bucket list sense, like helping people climb mount Everest (if that is your thing)? I dreamt about a Pterodactyl the other night - were you involved?

Anyway - don't worry about the Egg cup, I may be able to get another egg just like the one I am selling to Tony, so it needn't go to waste. I will find out when I next visit my supplier and update the add in the "for sale" section imposed on us by the forum dictationists. Those scoundrels - perhaps they are playing a divide and conquer strategy in order to form a splinter group of MTB doggers

Er, yes.
I am like Deliveroo for your imagination.