Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Forum. Really.

Right chaps

I think it's fair to say that the new forum layout hasn't been an unmitigated success.

Given that it is no longer possible to view the forum on a mobile device properly - at least not on those owned by people who have chosen to comment, given that there are typically a maximum of 5 new topics a week on the forum and given that the new structure is making it look less used than ever it was before PLEASE revert to the previous structure.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that it's not too much of a hardship to see posts about routes on the same page as posts that are total bollocks. However, not being able to see posts properly on my mobile is both something of a hardship and is bollocks.

I appreciate the effort to improve the forum but don't think this has been worth it.

Anyone else care to comment?

Re: The Forum. Really.

Hello!

Completely agree Tony. To be short, in my opinion the new layout is annoying and unnecessary. I like the forum and have tried to keep the banter alive but now that it is all segregated and harder to access, efforts seem futile.

This travesty can and must be rectified. Do the right thing.

Adriano

Completley agree with both, it doesn't work & now I also am unable to see it on my mobile, this is pissing me off.
We've had the other set up for 10 years or more, it's crude....IT WORKS.
Please revert.

Yes, there's really only one forum required.
One person's total bollocks is another's rhubarb.
Stick it all in one place and let it be the thing it always has been; a happy distraction, not a bloody inconvenience.

My 2p

MT

+1

PLEASE put it back to how it was, warts and all. It worked for us, you could look at it and post from a mobile, you weren't in danger of missing stuff because you were looking at the wrong thread.

I don't know who is responsible for this, but even if it's a committee of five, I will personally buy each of you a large pint of your choosing to make my world whole again.

After all, as Duncan said less than a year ago, "It's good to talk bollox,,,,although best not to read it the next day." And as far as I know, the old layout didn't force anyone to read anything, today,tomorrow or ever...

Dom

OK then.

Have now restored a link to the forum rather than have it embedded, which was causing problems for some smartphone users. It seems to work OK on my phone.

I have culled one of the forum categories which was not used. I can cull others, but all the threads would be lost, I think. (not the general one, just the new ones with all that vapid, yet beautifully surreal sarcasm in it)

Is that what you want? 'Cos that's what you'll get!!

PT

Dear Fidel Pastro

As one of the main contributors to the other categories (for sale / wanted). I approve of their deletion despite the epic banter within. I also think we can kill the "runs list chat" - as surely those are all obsolete now they are in the past, with the exception of a random post by Juan which must have been posted after a few too many glasses of wine.

That way, we will restore unity and balance.

Adriano

Hi Pasty

I can't see any categories having gone. I can (still) see general chit chat, runs list, for sale, and wanted. My view (and that's all it is!) is that we don't need any categories at all, just one huge glorious muddle...

Also, the default layout on a mobile in portrait mode is terrible (way too big so you only see a tiny part of the overall page) but I can pinch to resize OK.

I'm writing this on a mobile, so that aspect send to work OK.

Hope this is useful as user feedback, and THANKS A LOT fit doing this on your own time in a volunteer basis. I appreciate it.

Dom