Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Adios

Hi all

This may be a bit short notice. That's partly because I'm not organised, and partly because it's not nice news to convey. :-(

We've decided to relocate back to South Africa for some time so my wife and I can be closer to our parents for a while. It's been in the pipeline since the beginning of the year, but I haven't really been shouting it from the rooftops.

It'd be nice to have a last ride next week Tuesday, and to continue the tradition Claire started, can I propose we change the Six Bells in Fulbourn to the Tamarind for a curry? If there are no howls of protest by tomorrow, I'll make a booking.

I'll look to make the ride tonight, and possibly Thursday night if Paul Stafford or Andy Wigget haven't ripped my legs off.

EDIT: Crap, I have a double booking tonight - somebody has birthday drinks in the Cambridge Blue. It'll have to be Thursday evening only this week, then.

And please give me some advance warning if you head to South Africa, it'll be great to show you around, and maybe ride a few trails somewhere!

Claire and Adrian, I haven't yet given up on riding in California, but it might be slightly harder to get to from South Africa, especially this year... :-p

dont let immigration hit you on the way out

Short notice indeed dude - and I'm on holiday next week. Which means I wont get the chance to insult you in person ever again...

I may have to come to SA at some point with some saved up comments.

Drat - I miss a curry too

Re: Adios

Sorry to hear. I can not make Tuesday due to prior cricket, ballet and water polo commitments. I might pop in later for a beer. Cheers

Riaan - creeping off quietly eh?

Can't make it I'm afraid as I'll be somewhere or other on my grand tour.

Bon voyage

Tony, you should make your grand tour go to Africa as well. Get some tips from Simon!

Give me some advance notice so I can plan holiday accordingly... I fondly imagine I can do a multi-day trip in the Drakensberg at some point, and I think the Solaris would be good for that, although some suspension for my arse might help. Maybe a Cotic Flare Max?

I don't think they do the bright green anymore, so Andy, Norman and Simon would be disappointed if I go that way.

EFB5K!!! Nooooooooooooooo

I am in France this week so will miss any send off. Let's keep the trash talk up though yeah? tart

Ah, I was going to say there's little hope of you reaching South Africa since you haven't even gotten around to visiting Claire in California.

But that ain't true, is it?

Trash talk? You mean me insulting the institution that is the Orange Five?

Who says it's trash talk?! :-p

Sorry to hear that Riaan. No more trying to compete with Pat for the largest backpac I guess! Not sure about Tuesday next week, although if it's a curry, it should be a shorter ride?

Richard

WHAT? I never come on the cammtb website and I see this!

I can't make it, sorry Riaan

You had better make it over here.

Tony will be here in, oh, 5 or 6 hours or so!

Anyone else want to come and visit?

Have I missed any other news??

Hi Riaan,

I’ll probably make the curry, but not sure about the ride yet. Count me in. What time?

TOM

Would it be controversial if Tess and I did the ride but not the curry? I fear it would get too emotional at dinner so best pass.

Oh dear, sorry to see you go Riaan. I hope to make it for the ride & curry so count me in please.

@Tom: I'm hoping for 20:30, that OK? I'll have to bend the arm of whomever is leading the ride tomorrow night..!

Hi Riaan

Sorry to hear you are leaving and reducing the CAM MTB green solaris collection!

I can't make the curry but will start plans on getting a business trip out to SA but it might have to wait until next year!

All the best

Simon

Hey Riaan! Only just seen this and really sorry to hear it. Maybe Alison and I will get out to join you for some more rides round Stellenbosch some time...

Might be at Thetford tonight if you're still going.

Dom

Hi Riaan
Sorry won't be able to make thetford tonight, so just wishing all the best for the future.
Great riding with you and hope you found a back pack big enough.....