Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Latex inner tubes doing strange things??

i read this thread from the top and was ready to chime in about Paul Stafford and his problems in exactly the same place.

he suspected his issue "may" have related to using a 26" tube in a 29" wheel.

if he is telling the "Truth" then he is now tubeless.

it is interesting that the new tubes passed on to PT had the same issue, i assume on a 26" Tom?

i used Mitchelin Latex for years and NEVER had one fail in THIS way and sorry Mark T, i never did any maintenance with Talc or Talked the tubes in. i just pumped them up and rode till they went soft too often or punctured, then swapped for new ones.

it realy sounds like an issue caused by a defect in the latex either in the manufacture process or caused by the bonding process...... but what do i know, i'm tubless and proud.

Yes, Pat - 26" tubes on 26" wheels in my case. I don't talc my tubes either (these were relatively young tubes and still had a modicum of talc on them)and, just like you, never had any burst in the place where these went.

Definitely not mouldy either, so I'm of the defect school of thought.

I recently purchased some talc for, well, you know, so may follow Mark and Duncan's advice. About using it on the latex tube, I mean.

PT

The issue is more likely to be exacerbated by the extra stress of stretching a 26" tube to fill a 29" tyre.

The talc helps, although I suspect most of us have stop giving a sh!t now and gone tubeless...

I just fill um with water and ram em up me arse like, All casual, nooo messin!
Listening to Katy Lied......RIP Walter Becker, top bloke hallo bannana