Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Such sad news

We regret to inform you that Jacob Hassan passed away on Tuesday 1st May. The funeral will take place at the graveside in the grounds of Cambridge City Cemetery and Crematorium at 1pm on Thursday 10th May. The cemetery can be found at Huntingdon Road (A14 westbound), Cambridge CB3 0JJ.

As you may be aware, it is the Jewish custom to communally fill in the grave after the burial. Everybody is welcome to participate if they wish.

Parking is limited so if possible please share a car. Please join us for refreshments afterwards at Beth Shalom Reform Synagogue, Auckland Road, Cambridge CB5 8DW. 12

Jacob rode with cambridge ctc off road from the early eighties up until approx. 2012.
As a GP he was hassled by many with unconclusive issues CLEM phewwwwww.
Top bloke, not scared to buy a pint and was a forefather of the local MTB experience
For those who know the funeral is at the crem 1pm Thursday with a jewish wake?!?!?!?! in Auckland road afterwards
Top man, helped me intagrate with the group many years ago & a great loss to all who knew him.
RIP, Jacob, MTBer, top man, GP, proud Gibraltarian.
Lets hope he meets up with Terry Hallam.
RIP
Going to miss you.

Re: Such sad news

Sad news indeed, Jacob was a truly nice person and a very active member of the group when I joined way back when. Always willing to take a new member under his wing and ease them into the group without having their legs ripped off first time out!
R.I.P. Jacob.

compleatly agree

Jacob was my GP in Bar Hill and he noticed my Animal watch when I went to him to be checked-up after a car accident.

Realising that I was a mountain biker, he gave me a CAMMTB runs list and the rest is history. Well, with some geography added in.

Jacob was the RLF when I joined and he really did nurture the group. In those days we aimed to hit the pub as closely as possible to 9 pm - we've drifted later now!

He really will be missed - the father of the group.

Tom L.

Indeed very sad and unexpected news. When I first joined the group back in approx 2001, Jacob would lead the B ride and the really fast guys like Duncan and Pete F, and twitchy Mike (?) would shoot off on the "A" ride. Both rides would arrive simultaneoulsy at the designated pub at 9pm. I can well remember with surprise this happening at the Bell Balsham. The 9pm target was to get a bowl of chips - any later than that the pub's kitchens would be closed.

In about April, if we hadnt been out for a while, we would get a text from Jacob encouraging us to change our habits and get out. It usually worked.

Yes, Jacob was very instrumental in keeping this group going, and will be I expect will be sorely missed.

RIP Jacob