Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Train out ride back?

Morning all,
Who's up for a nice train ride out to somewhere & then ride back to somewhere else?

Should be a lovely night for it!

Cheers
GN

Re: Train out ride back?

might well be. what train ?

Hi Norm,
Not sure! Was hoping someone would post who knows the routes - Paul L, Duncan C, Pete F, etc?

If you know a route quite happy to follow that one :)

Ok then Norm & hopefully anyone else who fancies joining us! Have spoken to the runs fairy & he is going to email over a GPX file for Elsenham to Thriplow.

Just checked the train times and there is a 18.51 (gets to Elsenham 19.21) or a 19.20 (gets to Elsenham 19.49) train to Elsenham - i'm happy to go with either.

Only glitch is my GPS - Garmin 200 cannot upload gpx files!!

I can use my phone if needs be :)

nige.

can you mail me the GPX. any address will do - I can plug it into my GPS.

That said, i'm not yet 100% sure that i'll be able to ride. However, If i do it'll be the 19:20 as I'll struggle to get there before then. Fingers cross.

Cheers
Norman

Cheers Norm,
7.20 to Elsenham from Cambridge it is! See you at the station around 7.10pm :)

Any other takers?

Yes, see you there.

Any changes to this, that you'd like to see ? :grinning:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

Last night. some friends and I last night had the great misfortune of trying to navigate the bridleway refereed to below on bicycles. This was pretty much impossible, due to the dense growth of, among other foliage, head high thistles, nettles and briers. Our endeavor resulted in severe skin rashes, torn clothes and more and a modicum of frustration with the state in which we found the bridleway. What should have been a 2-3 minute ride ended up taking 45 mins. Like other walkers or bike riders (you'd never attempt to take a horse down there...) we ended up abandoning the old green lane that forms the route and tracing along the field edges. Even though we were careful, by doing so we undoubtedly caused some damage to the crops growing in this field.

On 1:50K OS Maps, this particular route is famous enough to have a name "Icknield Way Trail". I understand that the responsible highways agency, in this case Essex County Council, has a legal obligation to ensure that rights of way are maintained for public enjoyment.

Could you please carry out your legal responsibility.

Kind Regards
Norman Evanson

Details

central asset id: PROW 47_4
parish: Strethall

path number: 4

classification: Bridleway

length: 1770

unit: metres

district: Uttlesford

parish code: PROW 47

central asset id: PROW 47_10

parish: Strethall

path number: 10

classification: Bridleway

length: 487

unit: metres

district: Uttlesford

parish code: PROW 47

Essex is quite bad at the moment, the bridle way from camps end to Ashdon was horrendous a couple of weeks ago 6ft high nettles with about a 4" gap down the middle. Serious pain for days.
Norm, Can you let me know if you get a reply and if poss forward it to me and I'll send them a list.
It maybe cost cutting, it maybe DEFRA who I know have told farmers they cannot cut hedgerows before a date? in August so they don't upset all the birds and bees. Seeing as rights of ways probably cover 1% of 1% of 1% of hedgerows it is all a bit cock!
As long as the wildlife is happy fuck the tax payers?!?

Duncan
Essex is quite bad at the moment, the bridle way from camps end to Ashdon was horrendous a couple of weeks ago 6ft high nettles with about a 4" gap down the middle. Serious pain for days.
Norm, Can you let me know if you get a reply and if poss forward it to me and I'll send them a list.
It maybe cost cutting, it maybe DEFRA who I know have told farmers they cannot cut hedgerows before a date? in August so they don't upset all the birds and bees. Seeing as rights of ways probably cover 1% of 1% of 1% of hedgerows it is all a bit cock!
As long as the wildlife is happy fuck the tax payers?!?
Such mastery of the form - I will give up poetry and become a shelf stacker.

TPL