Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stava route for Weds ? Visting Area

Hi All

So this message will end up asking for a favour, but before we get to that it would be rude not to do an introduction…

So I’m just over 40, riding a GT Avalanche 3.0 that I’ve had since new in 2005. The bike was originally used for evening leisure rides along the trains Pennine trail, with maybe a little stop at the pub with the girlfriend on the return leg. Then it was used to commute to work (15 mins) and for taking the dog (greyhound) for his morning walks at 5am in the following years.

After our child arrived a change of house and the somewhat change of lifestyle meant the bike never moved for a few years.

Now in the 40+ age group, the bike have come back out to help fight the middle age spread, with family rides now the child can cycle, and trips by myself down the local roads and into the nearby forest (Delamere).

I’ve also ventured onto the tracks slightly and have done the red at Llandegla, and also at Bwlch Nant yr Arian. Checking Strava I’m not the slowest so I cannot be that unfit after all, especially as my bike is way behind a lot of the machines I see at the trails.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/9727800

So that’s me, and now comes the favour….

My job means I travel, as such I’m in Cambridge on Wed’s evening, I know you do your rides on a Tues an Thurs, and especially considering that day is really bad for most as a little football match in on!

What I’m therefore asking is that does anyone has a Strava route you could send me - 10/20 mile, 1000/2000 ft. Or failing that some pointers to where I should head? I’m staying over the West side at Madingley Hall.

I would ask if anyone wanted to join me, but as before, it’s not one of your ride nights and I suspect most will be watching to see how England does in the match.

Hopefully someone can help me, of not I’ll be doing my usual and looking at the heatmaps and seeing where I end up!

Cheers

Peter

Re: Stava route for Weds ? Visting Area

Strava is not a great thing to discuss (roadie rubbish look at me darling I'm amazing toss crap) but we'd love it if you chose to join us.

Re: Stava route for Weds ? Visting Area

I was there last week, got a good 20+ miles in, found a few nice bridleways, the a14 roadworks gave me a few turnarounds too.

Yes I know Strava not ideal for mountain biking, but it does help for planning a vague idea o routes when you are not local, not ideal but without many hours on os maps it's a handy shortcut.

Likely I'll be back so if that's the case will aim for a tues / thurs so I can join a rod with some local knowledge :)

Cheers