Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cambridge Cyclists needed for Research Project - this could mean YOU!

Hi All,

You may have already seen this if you're a member of the Cambridge Cycling Campaign. I wrote to Dr Mat Timmis at the School of Psychology and Sport Science at Anglia Ruskin University to see whether he would be happy for me to advertise this research on our forum. He is happy and he sent me the following text:-

---------------
'Researchers at Anglia Ruskin University are running a number of cycling research projects throughout the summer and we would very much like to have the Cambridge cycling community involved. As cyclists ourselves, the research team is working towards better understanding the risks and dangers presented to cyclists in the city. Our goal is to ultimately make the city a safer environment for cyclists and increase the number of people cycling in the city.

We are currently recruiting people and asking them to cycle 3km around the city whilst wearing some goggles that record where you look when cycling. This will allow us to measure where you look when cycling in different environments. We are looking for people who do not need to wear spectacles whilst they cycle (contact lenses are fine).

We are recruiting people of all ages and abilities. If you cycle, we would love to hear from you.

If you would like to get involved or simply would like to know more, please contact lead researcher Dr Mat Timmis,
matthew.timmis@anglia.ac.uk.'
----------------

I thought that this would appeal to those of us who regularly cycle around the city as well as around the tracks and bridleways of S. Cambs.

And I would LOVE to know what some of you look at when cycling. Experience tells me that it's not always the track....

So drop him a line and get volunteering!

Regards

PT