Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New members

Hello, my 12 (nearly 13) year old is keen to get into MTB and I wondered if he could join you on organised rides etc… he’s more than capable and is up for a challenging routes. Many thanks

Re: New members

Hi Kelly - anyone is free to join us, though describing the rides as 'organised' is sometimes a bit of a stretch.

You should bear in mind that there is a strong social element to the rides, in that the destination will be a village pub somewhere in the Cambridge vicinity - usually a 5-10 mile ride home again. This usually makes for a late night...

Total ride distance is around 25-30 miles at this time of year - depending on where you begin and end of course.

Would someone else be accompanying your son?

Hi Kerry,
Have you tried the Cambridge junior cycle club who meet and learn new offroad skills at Milton country park? I think that would help to give you lots of info on the local mtb/cyclocross scene for 5-16 year olds.

https://www.miltoncountrypark.org/cjcc

Hi Kelly my 14 year old might be up for a ride sometime? Personally I would not take him out with this lot as they are old hairy and weird 😝
In all seriousness I don't think it's suitable to send him in his own as although we'd help people get home if they don't know the way, the expectation in general is that you can get home alone in the dark from a pub in the middle of the countryside, which is a big ask for a nearly 13 yr old!

Thank you so much

Claire...If we are hairy, old and weird.....HUMPH!
Does that make you?.. Inflammitry, short and amazingly descriptive of intermittent light issues?

Come out again? We know Ade's tooooo busy now.. (how long does it take to apply six liberal coatings of "BRO" Gangster black car pomade)? But, we miss your articulate discription of the world..and your hard as nails attitude!
It is still good fun when you get back into it!!!