Return to Website

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum

Welcome thirsty surfers! This forum is intended for cOol cats, hiP bartenders, tOtally rad surfer dudes, beer chuggin' bArflies, extraOrdinary servers, wacKy wannabe's, and all others interested in the marTini-drinking, shot-shoOting, jeTset, poP culture, fun-lOving, goOd-time, cocktail world. Jump right in. The water is fine.

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting my foot in the door "lying"

Currently I am doing this stupid as Bartending College thing. I am 23 years old and have always wanted to tend bar. I really didn't know how I could get my foot in the door so I thought that the bartending college would be a good idea. I allready knew most of the drinks (I'm an alcoholic of sorts) so the thing has been a breeze. What I am really concerned with is actually getting a **** job. I have worked F&B before. Fast food, pizza delivery, dishwasher, and busboy. But I never made the money that I'd like to make. I also have worked many sales jobs as well. Stockbroker, computer sales, aquarium sales ect. ANyways my question is... Should I lie about my experience to get a job??? I know of a couple places that have been closed (but used to exist) and I thought that they would work. one is a busy night club in NYC (I'd say that I was a barback) and the other is a Dive in central CA (which I would say is where I got my 1st Bartending gig) Do you think this is a good idea?? I am probably going to try to apply at night clubs in the Sacramento Area, I might try a gay bar as well (I'm not gay... but I have good enough looks that I'd make a killing)...
what do ya think???

KC

Re: Getting my foot in the door "lying"

KC,
I'll reply to you personally. I don't want what I will say on the web.
Cheryl

Re: Re: Getting my foot in the door "lying"

You'll surely be found out in a heartbeat that you dont know how to manage a bar on a moderatly busy night if you do successfully lie and get the job. Dont try it, it wont work. And on bartending college_ I went and thought it sucked ass and nobody found placement gigs from the sckool after "graduation". That is except me, I was the lucky one to find a job that taught me the old skool way to mix drinks and serve them up. Now I can work any trendy yuppie ass place in my city and make bank. You just have to get lucky or start somewhere you dont want to just for the experience- look into bowling alleys and such were they need new barstaff all the time.

Thanks for letting me know that my advice landed you a job!
Way to go!
Cheryl

DOn't lie and don't be stupid.

No matter how good a liar you are, or think you are, I garuntee, that as a bar mangaer, I would be able to tell in 20 minutes that you had never set foot behind the wood. and THAT, my friend is a good way to devlope a bad reputation.

On the same note, I can teach a monkey how to pour food coloring in a glass, and toss a bottle behind his back, which is all the worth I give to bar schools. But I cant teach a monkey to mix a great cocktail.

Tried of the viciousness? Good! ME too.

The way to get in is be honest, a good worker, personable, and face that you may have to start with a company as a server or Cocktailer before you get your big break. In the meantime learn everything you can about booze, watch how the bartenders interact, work together, get to know them, ask questions, let you manager know your desires to get behind the ba, and do what he/she tells you to do to get there. Once there you begin to write you own ticket.

Good lick, and hope to see you behind the bar soon!

Magoo

Re: Re: Getting my foot in the door "lying"

Over a year later and I still have the job!!!

And yes my managers, co-workers, and the owners all knew that I lied. But it did work for me. And now I work Th,F,Sa,Su.