Return to Website

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum

Welcome thirsty surfers! This forum is intended for cOol cats, hiP bartenders, tOtally rad surfer dudes, beer chuggin' bArflies, extraOrdinary servers, wacKy wannabe's, and all others interested in the marTini-drinking, shot-shoOting, jeTset, poP culture, fun-lOving, goOd-time, cocktail world. Jump right in. The water is fine.

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barcareers.com

Just a little question. I have been a food server for 6 years in various types of restaurants. I am now wanting to move from server to bartender. Having worked in only full service restaurants I am skilled in the sociable part of the job. I do have light experience as a tender as I was a sort of "sick day" bartender a few years back. Anyway, as I was looking through careerbuilder.com I came across an ad for bartenders from Barcareers.com. I called and talked to a guy who told me their were many places he could place me after completing the course. I live in Las Vegas at the moment but would prefer to go back home to Dallas. This guy said it was a money back thing if I am not given a job. I am wondering if should trust this or not. Like I said I know drinks and I know how to work behind a bar but this place says they will give you certification and job placement. Is it the old "if it sounds too good to be true, then it is too good to be true"?
Thanks for any responses,
A. J.

Re: Barcareers.com

Sounds too good to be true to me.
Cheryl

Re: Re: Barcareers.com

As we all know, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. There are plenty of other ways to get bartending jobs that don't involve paying someone. I'm curious to know if any readers of this forum have used that service before and what their experience was.

Re: Re: Re: Barcareers.com

My friend swears by them. Got several jobs through them in chicago. I think what they do is let bars look through your picture & resume. Haven't had a chance to try them myself yet, sorry.

Re: Barcareers.com certification

yeah, their site seems to suggest a 'state-issued' certificate upon completetion of this course.

Does any one know any more about this?

It's something we've been pushing for in the UK for ages (to move bartending from un-skilled to skilled with government certification), with Peter Dorelli and the IBA leading the way.

Yeah I know about barcareers, tried them out, they promise employment in 3 weeks over the phone, but they require you to pay to enroll and dont enroll u until you take the so called home course and return the exam. However what they dont tell you is that the process of getting "certified" takes at least 6 weeks (3 weeks longer than then they promise employment. Trying to get my money back now but they have on their refund policy that shipping and handling are non-refundable along with account deactivation is non-refundable. However not sure if I will see any money back as they have been giving me the run around as a result i am turning them into the federal trade commission and filing a report on ripoff report .com

I am currently with this company, and it's been nothing but bad. It took me 6 weeks to get certified and after that they sent me 1 message about a job that was already filled. I called and they dont care at all about you...