Return to Website

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum

Welcome thirsty surfers! This forum is intended for cOol cats, hiP bartenders, tOtally rad surfer dudes, beer chuggin' bArflies, extraOrdinary servers, wacKy wannabe's, and all others interested in the marTini-drinking, shot-shoOting, jeTset, poP culture, fun-lOving, goOd-time, cocktail world. Jump right in. The water is fine.

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help! My hands are killing me!

Does anyone know a way to get rid of the rough, crazy-dry hands??? I've been bartending for 7 years, and they've never been this bad! I'm starting to get callouses from them being so dry. Regular lotions just make my hands slippery for dishwashing. Is there a secret recipe I don't know about? HELP!

Re: Help! My hands are killing me!

Here's a thread over at Webtender.com that will help:

http://www.webtender.com/iforum/search.cgi?q=hands

Personally, I buy the thickest creamist lotion like "Udderly" something and in a pinch I've used Vaseline. These days I use a natural product from the Heritage stores called Aura Glow which is pure peaunut oil and some other nayural healing oils........anyway, you slather it on, put rubber latex gloves on, then sleep with it like that overnight. The next morning your hands are healed and soft as a baby's butt.

During the day I use Sally Hansen's Manicure in a bottle...it's an exfoliating rough cream then matching lotion to follow.

I've known bartenders that use that invisible hand stuff that you apply and it creates a seal. gardeners use it too.

Hope this helps,
Cheryl

I had a real bad case of bar rot on my hands. Nothing woould cure it. I finally used chlorine granules from my swimming pool. Got hands wet and rubbed it in. Let it burn away and after about 10 minutes washed my hands clean. About 3 days in a row and all the crappy bugs that made my hands sick were gone for good.

Anything with lots of lanolin is best. Besides "Udderly" (www.udderlysmooth.com) there's "woolwax" (www.prideofmontana.com) which I used to get at the state fair in New Mexico. You can also straight lanolin (hydrous seems to be easier to work with) at bigger drugstores or online. It's harder to rub in but it works so well, especially with Cheryl's overnight treatment. I've also found Body shop's hemp hand protector to work pretty well.
Careful with the chlorine. You can develop a chemical sensitivity from such harsh exposures (I know), but itmakes sense in such a severe case of infection I guess...