Return to Website

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum

Welcome thirsty surfers! This forum is intended for cOol cats, hiP bartenders, tOtally rad surfer dudes, beer chuggin' bArflies, extraOrdinary servers, wacKy wannabe's, and all others interested in the marTini-drinking, shot-shoOting, jeTset, poP culture, fun-lOving, goOd-time, cocktail world. Jump right in. The water is fine.

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do I change a keg?

Hey every1 I recently popped my bar work cherry n i need 2 know how 2 change a keg. Any other useful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Re: How do I change a keg?

In the UK it goes like this (not sure if it's the same in the US - European beers sometimes have different attachments but they work in the same way)

Detaching the empty barrel/keg - lift the black handle on the attachment and then twist anti-clockwise to release.

Next remove the dust seal from the new barrel and twist the attachment back on then push down the black handle.

Finally you should have a kind of dome shaped glass thing on the wall with a pump buttom on top - press the pump until the dome fills with beer form the barrel then flip the little lever on the side to "clean" for a few seconds till you can see a ping-pong type ball floating at the top of the glass dome and then flip back to "serve"

Job Done!

Re: How do I change a keg?

So many different types of CO2 systems out there now, I'd hate to tell you one way and have it go horribly wrong for your situation.

Most kegs in the US are now "ball tap", and they just "twist on", and a handle folds down to depress the ball and allow the beer to flow. While you are new at this, you may want to turn off the CO2 (its noisy while escaping) when you switch from old keg to new keg.

Also, Glycol systems are now all the rage, and I have no idea what their deal is.