Return to Website

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum

Welcome thirsty surfers! This forum is intended for cOol cats, hiP bartenders, tOtally rad surfer dudes, beer chuggin' bArflies, extraOrdinary servers, wacKy wannabe's, and all others interested in the marTini-drinking, shot-shoOting, jeTset, poP culture, fun-lOving, goOd-time, cocktail world. Jump right in. The water is fine.

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Too Old?

Hi,
I have always wanted to try bartending, but never did, and now i want to.I am 50 years old, and will be training at a nearby school here in Northern VA. Do people my age get bartending jobs? I probably won't be staying in this area, so it's a general question.

Re: Too Old?

Hell no, you aren't too old. Think of Bartending as you being an independant contractor, or salesman. Depending on the type of bar, there is room for everyone. A favorite bar of mine has an 84 yr. old man bartending, he's not carrying kegs or pouring flaming shots for college kids, but.. he'll make you one hell of a Perfect Manhattan.

I'm not sold on bartending school, personally I think its a waste of money. Miss Charming's site is helpful, and maybe pick up an old fashioned "Mr. Boston's" bartending book. It'll teach you the basics of the different types of liquors, what types of glasses to use, etc. As far as the rest? On the job training works best.

I started in a dive bar that only had 4 different types of glassware - so learning 20 types would've been a waste. Now I'm working at an exclusive City Club where I make OLD drinks for OLD people (Stinger, Rusty Nail, Gibson, etc.), and you'd never make these drinks at 95% of bars.

So, just jump in headfirst. What bar owners want most is an honest employee. If you don't steal, they'll bear with you while you are learning.