Return to Website

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum

Welcome thirsty surfers! This forum is intended for cOol cats, hiP bartenders, tOtally rad surfer dudes, beer chuggin' bArflies, extraOrdinary servers, wacKy wannabe's, and all others interested in the marTini-drinking, shot-shoOting, jeTset, poP culture, fun-lOving, goOd-time, cocktail world. Jump right in. The water is fine.

Miss Charming's Bar & Cocktail Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Resume question

why is it not a good idea to list bartending schools on your resume?

Re: Resume question

Because a 2-week bartender course does not prepare you for what you really need to know. Managers know this and will throw your ap/resume away.

Now, there's an exception--if you have several years of bartender experience and several places of employment as a bartender then you can put bartender school on the ap/resume. But to have it listed w/o any experience whatsoever is bad.

However, I will say that most people that went to bar school and then have several years of experience will, opt to leave it off anyway because it seems silly at that point.

Miss Charming has it right. In over 14 years in the bartending business I have yet to meet anyone who graduated (or admitted to graduting) from a bartending school actually work behind a bar. Unfortunately most of these places are just scams and trying to take your money. Therefore managers don't put much stock in them.

You do, however, need a great resume. If you check out Miss Charmings resume service you will see what a great bartending resume looks like.

There are some great strategies to overcome the catch-22 of "I can't get a job without experience and I can't get experience without a job."

I've summarized lots of these with articles written on hubpages.com under the author name the publican. I also have a more comprehensive newsletter and program available on how to get bartending jobs. Check it out at http://getabartendingjob.com

Sorry, I should have made it easy to link to those sites.

Here are the links to Hubpages

and

How to Get Bartending Jobs

Good Luck