Return to Website

www.harleyfanzone.com

Webmaster: PeterJH

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where,s Cockney Rebel ???

Been enthralled all day with the 4CD Cavaliers set which arrived this morning. But why have the Cockney Rebel been written out, almost forgotten in all the ensuing blurb. Steve barely mentions the band in his sleevenotes. The album artwork barely features the band, and a band that were quite visual too.
As a christian, im surprised Steve cant let the bitterness of nearly 40 years ago, dissipate ! They were young kids, and one or two made a mistake, get over it, and celebrate a great legacy ..... together !!!

Also, any ideas what will happen to the planned `original` anthology with the DVD ???

Re: Where,s Cockney Rebel ???

releasing music videos is a lot more complicated than music recordings. As ownership of the video or the production company is not enough. You also need permission of the writer, Harley, publishers but also all the performers’ involved. So a 'stab in the dark' and considering the animosity involved it could be that this permission was not gained or proved to complicated to obtain. SAD

The subject of a compiltion video has been talked about but has never materialized. Other bands with a bigger archive have managed to do it so why not Steve?? Perhaps his heart really isn't into making it happen.Another question is where are all the live recordings of the original band? I can't believe Steve hasn't got at least a few concert tapes of the band during that 1973/74 period. I would have prefered to have had a below par live recording included on the anthology rather than 'doubling up' on the Human Menagerie and Psychomodo albums that ALL true Rebel fans must have already.I do agree that the original band need to be recognised more.Lets have more photos of the whole band performing on stage. Cockney Rebel was more than just Steve Harley.

Craig (Chubs) Hamlin
Been enthralled all day with the 4CD Cavaliers set which arrived this morning.

( D ) ditto craig this is magic through an open door .

But why have the Cockney Rebel been written out, almost forgotten in all the ensuing blurb. Steve barely mentions the band in his sleevenotes.

( D ) if at all ?

The album artwork barely features the band,

( D ) It is plasterd with the COCKNEY REBEL logo . and then it just mentions it features Steve Harley at the bottom !

and a band that were quite visual too.

( D ) listen to the music craig. its amazing. they are all so there, all of them, NO ONE can or will ever forget them Guys.

That Bass! I can still see a skinny Paul Jeffreys and his scruffy hair,in my minds eye ! I still follow his every move through the tracks.

( I was not hearing Lincoln )

and James did not come to mind. it was Milton tinkerling them piano keys
and Jean-paul ( john ) Crocker even now ! stands out above them all. still. even now that violin captures me. takes me on a courosell .and I see Crocker in his Platform boots and little turned up nose and curly dark hair.
they are for ever Immortalized on this Anthology ! do you not think ?

As a christian, im surprised Steve cant let the bitterness of nearly 40 years ago,
( D ) maybe he has and this is his way. too dissipate !

( D ) on the very fist line.of the inside booklet, he says! "ask any one who was there" : they'll tell you . he admits that mostly it was fun. and looking back he admits it was amongst best times. BEST TIMES !and he's had some awesome times since way back then ! surely ?

They were young kids, and one or two made a mistake,

( D ) ( didnt they just ! ) or maybe not ? life is a courious path.

get over it,

( D ) I'm sure it took him all of 5 mins once reading festaval kicked in and creagan and monkman n snowy white came on side. and then when Duncun and George added their input. Stuart would always be kicking up from behind.he moved on to The best years of our lives . took us on a timeless flight ! and showed us the primma donna .

celebrate a great legacy

( D ) that is exactly how I see this Anthology as being craig

"wheres Cockney Rebel " ?

why their flowing like the rivers and streams through out every second in this antology. Caveliers !

they inpacted in some part of us all, at some stage in our lives.

they remain in our hearts and souls ..... together forever!!!
always.
cant get closer than that ! now can ya ?

Also, any ideas what will happen to the planned `original` anthology with the DVD ???

( D ) ah I guess that will follow! something else to look forward too .after Birmingham.
see ya there Craig. hopefully looking forward is mark coming along ?

Fantastic post all. Although Steve was the 'main man' you can hear how good the original band were, and how they added meat to the bones of Harley's songs. Cockney Rebel were a band featuring Steve Harley (it confirms this on the cover of Cavaliers). To Steve, Milton, Paul, Jean-Paul & Stuart, what a legendary legacy, which this release certainly adds to, with it’s amazing early recordings.

Steve arguably went on to better things, with Make Me Smile, Best Years, and mega success, but surely “Cavaliers” was a good chance to celebrate the original band, giving the nod to those musicians who helped cement the foundations of his successful career? Sadly they are hardly mentioned!

Steve Harley, what a catalogue, what a fantastic career. He's still number one artist in my universe, and long may he reign. But the original Cockney lineup was special too, each and every member.

I never liked the whole 'Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel' thing.Why not just carry on as Cockney Rebel? After a while people would think of Steve as 'the cockney rebel' anyhow. A bit like Marc Bolan and T.REX. On this anthology as you rightly said Pete, Steve had the chance to salute the original band without bringing ego into it. Still a brilliant collection thou and Steve is still a genius....just a slightly flawed one!

When the first band imploded the name Cockney Rebel carried a bit of weight so from a commercial angle his nibbs kept the name as going as just Steve Harley would'nt have carried as much weight,he once said there could have been four cardboard cutouts on stage and the fans would'nt notice,charming.It would have been a nice gesture for him to acknowledge the other three original members,we are here because of them,if Cockney Rebel in it's original form got together without Harley for a gig it would sell,i'm sure they did it in the 70's at London's Boogie Palace but dont know any more details,Harley is a genius as is work especially the first five albums testify but a gig playing just Stranger Comes To Town and Quality Of Mercy would'nt be a crowd puller,he should be proud of his Cockney Rebel days which made him what he is and are a part of Music history no matter how much he tries to distance himself from it,he was a part of a great band.

To be honest, I feel the lack of credit/recognition given to the original band is really sad. At a time when we are congregating to celebrate, spare a thought for the guys who made this all possible. The band, frankly, cannot be "airbrushed" out of the story. Yes, they were Steve's songs, yes he was then driver, but those albums would never had been what they are without the rest of the guys. The role the original band played in developing the sound, converting Steve's songs into the versions they became should never be forgotten.

I have spoken with Milton about this very recently, and the fact is, the band were NEVER given the credit they deserve. There is a story to be told, I know for a fact, and as much as we all look to Steve, this was the BAND we loved. Let's not forget that.

I for one feel Birmingham would have been an opportunity for the remaining band (RIP Paul Jeffreys- God Bless) to have been given credit and respect. Sadly the hatchet can't be buried, an opportunity lost, but spare a thought on the night- for a band that changed our lives and who have been sadly overlooked. I for one had hoped this was the chance...we will never have another. "Cardboard cut-outs" indeed....

Graham