Return to Website

www.harleyfanzone.com

Webmaster: PeterJH

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brugge

It’s been a while since I posted here, perhaps to the delight of some.
Just back from a weekend in Brugge, Belgium. I would normally have gone to the Birmingham affair but as I expected to be busy till deep into the Friday I didn’t think there was a snowball in hell’s chance of me physically being able to even get to Birmingham so I decided to compensate for missing out on the even of the Century by treating myself to a special Harley gig and a trip to Brugge was just the ticket.
Much more fun than seeing him somewhere else in the UK, which is hardly unusual.
I managed to persuade Deb to come along and I like to think the whole trip was a huge success for her as well.
We had some problems getting to Brugge due to road works and the like which cost us most of Saturday, but still had a wander around the town and a very nice dinner.

To underline the eccentricity of the town, on the way back from the restaurant a chap running another restaurant saw Debs taking pics of all & sundry and he invited us into the restaurant (which he was closing up for the night) saying they had a very special medieval fireplace and he would be prepared to take pics of us in front of it.
This may sound creepy but it was merely odd … He actually really was simply (and rightly) proud of his place. Lovely pics, which I will try to put up on facebook with time & erosion.
Later that night (when I was in dreamland) Debs went on another photography trip and sadly was mugged and was robbed of her phone, the sorting out of which took care of Sunday morning. Some friends came down from Antwerp to see us Sunday lunch time, another food fest (and a lovely Jenever to wash it down), a rest and later a 3rd wonderful meal in a restaurant called De Huzaar.
If anybody intends to visit Brugge (Bruges), and you could do worse, make sure to stop there. The food and ambiance good beyond belief
And then the main event. What a show. We had been warned that at times the Belgian audiences had been appreciative but somewhat quiet. Perhaps it was because there were some Anglos in the audience and Ruud & Bea in the front row but the atmosphere was electric, the crowd loud at the right times, and as Steve mentioned this concert was a special moment. ‘There are special moments in life and this is one’, is, I think, literally what he said and I totally agree. Every note was perfect.
I know some would criticize the set list but it worked totally for me. Also, eventhough the list was totally predictable the jazzy arrangements were certainly very differenct at times.Sometimes it is better to hear songs you know and can ‘tune in’ to rather than new or lesser known songs that may not work. For Debs the highlight was THE LIGHTHOUSE, for me the combi of COAST OF AMALFI (I do love that song to bits) and STRANGER COMES TO TOWN. So much passion. Steve completely lost himself into them. A very understated, soft but passionate version of TUMBLING DOWN by the audience also was special! A good crowd for sure. Shy but assertive!
Next to Debs was a lovely English couple who happened to be on holiday in Brugge and had first seen Steve in the original Cockney Rebel in The Speakeasy in London in 1972 (pre HUMAN MENAGERIE) and had seen him over the years. Really nice to meet people like that.
After the concert in the spirit of goodwill we were allowed backstage-ish (by invitation, not our asking) and Debs had some pics taken with Steve, how special is that?
I confess that my spirit of goodwill was also helped by yet another famous West Ham victory in the afternoon …

Re: Brugge

How wonderful! I would love to have been there. Thanks for sharing that Wout. It sounds like you had a great adventure. I was concerned to see that Deb was mugged? How awful! I'm glad it didn't spoil your trip too much, and that you still managed to have a great time

What a shame you couldn't have made Birmingham, we could have shared a G&T or two!! We will have to make it the Barbican next year, as I'm sure you will make that 1!!

Don't think I've missed a london Harley gig yet this century so that would be a date. Will there be 1?
Sorry the bove is a bit lengthy..

Mr Harley has been quoted in magazine interviews, that they are planning two symphonic concerts for next year Wout. One at The Barbican in London, The other at Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. Fingers crossed eh?

yes, that would be rather grand. Sorry I have been rather removed from Planet harley the last few months. The barbican is a superb hall with great acoustics but not sure if the capacity would be big enough to make it profitable? But I'm sure Steve will have looked at that of course. Sounds great

:-) Thanks to Mr Wout I had a Brilliant Week end away, apart from being mugged ! well pick pocked ! still mugged off !

( thanks pete for the concern )

Some random Bog rat decided to cross the road and engaged in conversation with me in some broken dialog I didnt understand anyway ! apart from London ? Manchester ? Big Ben and Sexy lady ! I understood that much.

Time for a sharp exit ! ( I thought )

I should never of hessitated in telling him to DO ONE ...... go forth and multiply.

stupid of me, I know ! but I decided to go out after dark well into the night on me own to take pic's of the market quare while it was empty, as id heard it was at its most beautifull at night, all lit up .

so I wanted some pics of the place with out hordes of tourist milling about. not wanting to come across as alien or hostile ! I stupidly allowed the Bog Rat to walk along side me while I looked up in wonder of the amazing sights !

I guess he slipped his grubby little fingers in to my coat pocket as I was looking through the lense of the camera! ( I was wearing a heavey sheep skin flying jacket , as it was cold, so never felf any weight loss from the pocket! or his theaving mits nip in and out.)

He started irritating me by talking to me as if he knew me! and of the opinion that I was at the least bit interested in being in his company.

so I just asked him ,

" haven't you got any thing better to do ? "
"have you not got a home to go to?"

I guess he'd already had the phone by then, as he was grinning like an inane idiot !

Guess he understood ! when I stopped smiling and told him to GET LOST.

but I must admit a little fear of the unknown kicked in.

thankfully I only lost my life line ( phone ) not my life !
so i've learnt another lesson in life !

Never asume when a stranger comes to town their safe !

below is a small account of the week end ,I posted on the offical guest book yesterday.

Was invited out of the blue by a long standing Dutch Harley fan and Dear friend to travel with him to bruge from UK this week end just gone, to see Steve Harley.
And I must say that the thought of going to that wonderful place was a tad exciting!
(Love Steve Harley’s music)

Understand the relevance of the experience to put it into context

, the wonderful sights of Bruges one of (if not) the most beautiful city in Europe, the market square offers up a wealth of history steeped in Architectural treasures.

The Belfry Carillion with its 366 steps towers over the most remarkable medieval place of wonder you could ever imagine.
(I have some great pics)

Stood in its shadows and listened to the amazing bells and saw the doves flee the belfry scattering across the blue sky above.
At 11am for the 60 seconds of silence.
Yes remembered so many who are no longer with us. Departed, but never forgotten.

This historical square with its Striking images had me in awe
Surrounded with winding cobbled streets with the constant sound of carriage wheels and horses hooves clattering upon them.

The skyline broken with 15th century Cathedral
Hof van watervliet 16th century residence is a sight to be held.

That market square with its hustle and bustle leads you of in all directions through alleys and streets leading off to quieter places over bridges of not so troubled waters! Canals with boats and swans and the smells of waffles and chocolate n coffee catching the air.

The restaurrants are to die for. Such Stunning cuisine.
I cannot express the satisfaction after eating the most delicious food. In a restaurant just down from the venue, the feast was so good, the taste was divine and the presentation was second to none. Absolutely beautiful.
My actual words were “oh my God “ how will Steve Harley top that?
By that time I was happy to just breathe air.

Off to the venue.
Wow
I sat in a room fit for a queen.
All velvet and gold surrounded by balconies and dripping with opulence beautifully painted and gilded, such fine art cradled me.

Up above a chandelier! Bigger than a sun on the any summer sunset, huge suspended wonder, just dripping with glitter and gold. Crystals the size of moons...and more as bright as stars on any clear night. Do you get the picture? It was stunning.

And the relevance is to the experience is!

From the moment he stepped out from the dark and into that light!
Graced that stage, he took the place to another level.
The room was filled with something very special, extra special. The three of them excelled far beyond my wildest imagination. Sling it was posivtley delightful, so jazzed up by James, at times sneaking in a splash of Brubeck ….. Had me grinning from ear to ear! Take 5 deep breaths.

The light house near stopped my heart yet again!
Barry showed no mercy! Carried on pulling at the heart strings. I swear he makes that violin cry , it pulls and guides you into its world and will not let go till the tears are falling and you find yourself choking them back eventually drowning in your own tears . I kid you not. So amazing.

And the whole experience?

Did he top the week end? You bet your bottom dollar he did. If it wasn’t for Birmingham coming up I could have quite happily been to on my last breath. Magic.