Return to Website

www.harleyfanzone.com

Webmaster: PeterJH

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stranger comes to Town (& Country Club)

being a child of the previous century I was not aware that The Forum is what used to be the Town & Country Club.
Last night saw Steve return to London and I have to say I have never seen him in a better mood. he clearly loved being back in town with his son and a fair few familiar faces in the audience.
it was a good night, despite the place being far too cold to be acceptable. Crazy but Steve & his merry band tried their best to make us forget the cold. Succesfully for most of the time.
Eventhough some in the crowd thought the audience was too laid back and quiet I confess this was just the absolutely perfect atmopshere for me.

It is not long since we saw Steve, James & Barry in Brugge and full marks, the set list was completely different, relying very strong on Timeless Flight (my old friend Em Ward would have loved it) and even the songs that were in both setlists sounded different.
In Belgium James was really the main inspiration with a lot of songs given a very jazzy touch while last night it was Steve's show. Both James & Barry got plenty of space to solo but it was Steve's night. The Sax/ percussion player (is it Steve Norman?) really impressed me as well. His enthusiasm really worked well and it is quite amazing to see how well he musically fitted into what is a very well oiled trio. It sounded like he'd been part of that group all his life) That is not easy. And his percussion 'sounds' (normally James's department) sounded just about brilliant.

Steve mentoned that playing in London brings back memories and he certainly was full of little anecdotes, which in turn brought back memories to me as well. Like when I bought the Sebastian single (before it hit the charts in Holland), going to the shop on the back of my oldest brother's best friend's motorbike to get to the shop seconds before closing time; the belgium 'boerenock' trip with Deb, Pil & Gilly, Ann, Ray & Kev 'n Ange and Simone & Kees of course; getting the FFL single and dancing to it with Dona in the kitchen (I know, 'tough guys don't dance' but once in a while ... and we are married ..); the Bloomsbury concert where Karen & I sat next to a little boy that was so totally absorbed in Harley's music that watching him was an almost even bigger pleasure than the concert itself; Blackheath with debs and indeed recently Brugge with Debs. So many great memories all thanks to that nice Mr harley.
Last night I had the enormous pleasure of sitting with 2 of the biggest Harley fans in Karen & Ann and that just makes such a big difference. You just enjoy the special moments even more.

On the set list front though I am not sure if all the big 'ending' songs (Riding the waves; If this is love; Mr raffles; Tumbling Down- which was brilliant) really all fit in a 1 show.
A great night, i
f only it hadn't been so damned cold ....

Re: Stranger comes to Town (& Country Club)

Wout,great review.What is that track If This Is Love Please.

At my age I get confused easily, sorry. I meaned Love (Compared with you)

Thank You.I thought for a moment that the 3 chaps had sung Give Me More from Primadonna...now that i would like to hear!