Return to Website

www.harleyfanzone.com

Webmaster: PeterJH

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Highlights of 2012

2012,what a year to be a fan of Steve Harley/Cockney Rebel!..so many positives and good things!.... The build up to Birmingham was a joy to watch and follow as Mr H's dream was being fullfilled as fans from all over the place snapped up those Symphony Hall tickets with such pace!!Listening to Steve from Australia on an Internet Radio really was weird! such a small world these days.Jimbo sorting out the Hotel and The Flyers was a nice touch and that Cavaliers 4 cd Box set was superb, especially the unreleased early demo's and the box set received some great reviews as well..as it should! ..And the fans,new or old,lovely warm kind hearted people,there's something very special about Steve Harley/Cockney Rebel fans,they are always a pleasure to be with and around...
My two biggest highlights were..
1.Manchester last Friday..hearing for the first time the B side of White White Dove,Throw Your Soul Down Here.It really was special, you could have heard a pin drop in the sold out Hall as the Manchester crowd gave Stve and the boys immense respect as they gave a wonderful performance.There are so many hidden gems in the Harley career and lets hope Steve brings out some more of the long lost gems as time goes on...
AND THEN THERE WAS BIRMINGHAM....
For me the highlight of the entire performance was the last 15 minutes or so..with the ending of Stranger Comes To Town,Black Or White and Tumbling Down.The first two were a fantastic surprise.Stranger was performed quite brilliantly with so much passion and heart.It was so brave in the context of the show to perform that track,and perform it Steve did.That has to be the best Concert performance of a track by Steve ever! Black Or White performed live for the first time was awesome and again sung and performed at a brilliant level.I'd waited since 1976 to hear that song live and it didn't dissapoint.And finally we had Tumbling Down,with the crowd singing the refrain before the song had even started..it sounded fantastic and was truly a special moment,as was Steve Norman's smile as the crowd sang " OH Dear Look What They've Done To The Blues Blues Blues" as though their team had just won The European Cup Final!
The Fantastic review in The Times said "The crowd on their feet yet again,took over the chant at the end of the final nuimber Tumbling Down..they sang as an exhultant Harley left the battlefield"..says it all really!!

Would love to hear other Harley Fans highlight's of 2012...
Go on what was yours?..

Re: Highlights of 2012

Highlights of 2012 Musically?

Well, nothing can beat the first two albums played in their entirety at Birmingham Symphony Hall, as it was a dream realised. It was most spectacular, magnificent, triumphant! Then we had that curveball thrown with Stranger Comes To Town aired mid set, which I have to say just blew me away. It was a fantastic version full of passion.

Then just a few days later this was followed by a sublime acoustic performance in Manchester. I've never enjoyed a Harley acoustic gig as much as I did that one. Throw Your Soul Down Here was simply amazing, and such a treat, and so unexpected!

Then there were the Rival Sons gigs, Download festival with Sabbath, a fantastic Hawklords tour, and lots lots more. 2012 has been a great year for concerts, yet not one new 5 star album released sadly. A few good ones, but nothing I would deem as 5 star material.

From the vaults, Cockney Rebels Cavaliers collection was spectacular though! The demos on disc three were a real eye opener, and a real treasure to unearth.

Lastly it's been great spending time with mates, people who I enjoy their company, who I have met and shared good times with over the years at Harley gigs. It was also great to meet up with one or two who I have been waiting a long time to meet.

Thanks to you all for your friendship! Yes, 2012 was pretty damn good.