Return to Website

www.harleyfanzone.com

Webmaster: PeterJH

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Thin White Duke

Just printed off me ticket for the 'David Bowie Is' Exhibition at the V&A. Done it by the skin of me teeth tho. I knew the initial sales went well but had no idea the whole thing was virtually sold out. Sunday evenings are all that's left and some of those only have 1 more ticket to sell.
Looking forward to it tho - some great stuff on show by all accounts!

Re: The Thin White Duke

What do you think of Bowie's new album Kev? I love the 1st single. The rest I haven't quite made my mind up on yet!

Like you Pete, I love the 1st single. I'm also really loving the title track and a few others I think are getting better with time. And for me, that usually means it will become a favourite. The only one I can't get into is "The Stars are out tonight". The vocal is too monotone. Makes Morrissey sound positively melodic! .... LOL
PS. Only I'm allowed to say that!

Kev,I love the track Port of Amsterdam from the new album.Is that typical of the album?

No, Sorry Stewart. Port of Amsterdam is a much older Bowie track and is nothing like the new album.
Please don't buy it hoping for something similar.

Thanks Kev.Is port of Amsterdam on the new album or another one of Mr Bowie's? Thanks for the advice also.I confess to having never bought a Bowie album and looks like that is still going to be the case!.....

No, it's not on the new album Stewart. I'm not 100% sure but I think it was only ever on the vinyl version of "Rare" (a compilation album) but also released as a single.
If I ever see it I'll get it for you .... providing, like me, you still have a record deck?

Port Of Amsterdam was def the b-side of the fantastic cover single 'Sorrow' from way back when Lol. I'm sure it was also available on one of the Bowie compilations released in the 80's or 90's? I could have a look Stew if you are interested?

Anyways....

Found it as a bonus track on my Ziggy Stardust 30th anniversary release!

I have searched and can't find it anywhere else in my Bowie cd collection! Chubby Chops could enlighten us further I'm sure

Thanks Kev,yes I've still got a record player.Bit old now but sure sounds better than cds!! When I heard Port Of Amsterdam recently was sure I heard the DJ say it was from Mr Bowie's new album!! Think the old ears need a clean out? Thanks for the info Kev and Pete.So there it is the B side of Sorrow and I'm only 40 years off the pace!! It's a brand new track to me anyway!!!
Have a good Saturday chaps...One last question,.Is that track Love Me Do from Ringo's new album?

That's right Stew ..... but I think it's only available on vinyl or as a download! ..... LOL

I ordered my ticket for the V&A months ago fortunately. Looking forward to it a lot.
The new album is brilliant IMHO. IF you don't mind Mr. B. borrowing quite a few bits and pieces of his former oeuvre. But this new disc is not as toothless as the last ones. And the lyrics are brilliant, sounding harmless at first but when you hear what the song is meant to be about, f.i. a school massacre in "Valentine's Day". they suddenly get a whole new meaning. I love it!
- And 'Amsterdam' can be found on "Bowie at the Beep" as well.

Amsterdam can be found on any of the following, tho originally a b-side of Sorrow, originally intended to be on the Ziggy Stardust album.
Also found on the Vinyl album RARE, released in 1983, and then on cd its appeared as a bonus track on the 1990 reissue of Pin-Ups, and on the 2002 re-issue of Ziggy Stardust. Also a BBC session version included on the Bowie At The Beeb CD :-)

Great stuff,Thanks Craig!

and Gilly