Return to Website

www.harleyfanzone.com

Webmaster: PeterJH

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
judy teen

I do like AJSMITH's work on wikipedia as it's well researched and written.

Perhaps he would like to read the interview on the this fansite with pete newnham as it would date judy teen earlier than steve harley claims.

I've copied and pasted a segment below which is not consistent with steve harley's version of events.

Did this version of Cockney Rebel record any demo tracks together?

Yes, we made our first demos at a friend of Steve’s studio, Riverside Recordings. 'Judy Teen', ‘Ritz’ and ‘That’s Alright That’s Me’ were the three songs. I had expected to do two guitar tracks, one a rhythm guitar and then a lead overdub for each song - but there was only time for a very rushed guitar take. This was also don't forget, the first time I had been in a serious recording situation. So, although at the time we all were over the moon with the general result, I wasn’t too happy with the guitar. It was the first time I'd come across the attitude that the guitar should be recorded as clean as possible and effects added later. It didn’t work for me then, and doesn’t work for me now. For me, if you work with a sound then you have to hear it as it's recorded, or it affects the style of playing. It seemed obvious to me, but not to all the engineers/producers I've come across. Going back to those demo tracks, they were very clean and untreated, except for a phased drum reverb fadeout on ‘Ritz’ and a bit of echo on John’s violin on ‘Judy Teen’. A lot of time was spent getting Steve’s vocals to sound right, and they sounded amazing. Anyway, the demo was to play to prospective management rather than record companies.

Re: judy teen

Detective.I agree with you that AJ'S work on all things Cockney Rebel is excellent and there are always bits that are new to the Rebel story for me anyway! I remember at The Fan Convention was it 2000? at Deptford that Steve told the story that AJ refers to re Judy Teen.Which differs slightly To Pete Newnham's version but at the end of the day does it really matter? of course not! What it does show is how much good material Steve had kicking around in those days that if Pete's version is correct that a track as good as Judy Teen could be left off the first album!..perhaps the word from EMI was have you got a hit single in the locker and of course Harley had!! ..more importantly does the track That's allright that's me exist in demo form somewhere? This track I think was played live at The Speakeasy? and wonder if it does exist why was it was not included on The Cavaliers box set?..a question for Mr Harley perhaps?...