Return to Website

www.harleyfanzone.com

Webmaster: PeterJH

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Neil Young - A Letter Home

I didn't expect to like Neil Young's new album, having been recorded on a refurbished 1947 Voice-O-Graph with all its crackle and pop, and raw uneven sound. But it's brilliant! I can't stop playing it. All the songs are obviously familiar to me, being covers, but they sound unearthly, or from some long bygone era.

My album of the year so far. Looking to seeing him in July at the Echo.

Re: Neil Young - A Letter Home

Agree Pete, strange sounding album and spooky intro but probably he is one of the few who could have carried this album off succesfully. ideal for covers as well

Perhaps I'll give it a listen after all. I confess I think Neil Young (like Pete Townshend) just starting banking too much on his fans being completists by releasing totally irrelevant stuff from his past, knowing completists would buy anything he would put out so I stopped buying anything whatsoever and to be honest I thought this album was another one of those, covers recorded in an ultra cheap studio, no personnel. 5 minute recording job selling at top dollar, but I know I am too cynical.

I quite like some of Neil Young's songs but I just can't listen to his Harvest album without hearing Kermit the frog's little cousin called Robin singing "Halfway down the stairs". Consequently I can't take him seriously enough.

PS. My album of the year so far is "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" and I haven't even heard it yet! How's that for devotion? ..... LOL

Kev as always I am impressed by your devotion, dont understand it myself but impressed anyway and thanks for the Kermit image.
Wout some of his recent live cds from 70's etc have been very good and yes maybe cashing in but well worth a listen. Were i get pigged is re issueing a perfectly good album with extra tracks only to find when you have parted with your cash that there was a GOOD reason they did not appear on the original.

'Listen' is probably a good idea Wout, as it won't be everyone's cup of tea or coffi. That said I really like it. I'm not sure with all this 'music sound quality is important stuff' he's been preaching about, why he should want to record such a low fi album? I mean this must sound as good (or as bad) on mp3 as it would on vinyl surely? (Only a guess). I wonder what it would sound like on his Pono?

And Kev, I take it that it's not a Take That album you are expecting?

Don't tell me. It must be a take this release by Steven Patrick Morrissey knowing you ...

And Phil, you taste is impeccable as always

p.s Mike J is a massive Neil Young fan. At the Isle Of Wight festival a couple of years ago he barged his way to the front to looks of disgust from fellow punters. He just loves the grunge. I'd never seen Mike air guitar before.

Well, I used to be a huge Neil Young fan as well, but I find his re-issuing thing and a release of covers recorded in a cheap throw away studio just not justifiable so while I am a collector and buy albums of artists I don't even like just to have the collection complete I will now only buy neil Young in the bargain sales for 1 or 2 pounds, which quite regularly is actually a bit too much. the Daniel Lanois produced collection of noise a few years ago? Anyway, all his plundering of his fans pockets do leave some fans sensationally happy so not complaining about it but just explaining why I won't buy his or Pete Townshend's stuff anymore unless in the sales

Moan moan moan......

So?