Return to Website

www.harleyfanzone.com

Webmaster: PeterJH

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Years Definitive Edition

Received my copy today and have already played the DVD Between the Lines. Yet to play the Live CD's and look forward to that when I have a spare moment. Anyone expecting great picture quality on the DVD may be a little disappointed. There was a slight improvement on the video copy that I have but not much of one. A slightly different opening with various fans being interviewed discussing the merits of Harley over Bowie. A bit mind blowing really. Hope no one on this forum recognised themselves!! The sleeve was a bit uninspiring too. A collection of clippings most of us already have, spelling mistakes( Harley being referred to as Harvey on one occasion) Just looked as thou it was assembled together without much care or thought. That said, it will pale into insignificance if the Live CD's are as good as I expect them to be. Anyone else with thoughts about this 'definitive' release?? Just one other thought, no mention whatsoever on the official site about the whole package. The timing of the release seems odd to me. We're in the middle of a mini tour of Steve performing the Menagerie/Psychomodo albums live. Why didn't Warners/EMI release it nearer to it's 40th anniversary when there's also a good chance that Steve would be performing concerts featuring the entire album live in it's entirety. Maybe that's why the official site have slightly wiped their hands over it's release??

Re: Best Years Definitive Edition

So Far have played the original cd and extra tracks and about half way through live cd and to be honest very pleased. Live recording is 40 years old so was not expecting brill quality but pleased so far. also great to hear the songs again sung as he wanted to play them 40 years ago Frightening. Best years of our lives acoustic and rough make me smile very interesting,.
As for timing of release, it was originally due for release in January and the story is that since emi has been broken up one arm does not know what the other arm is doing. But just be thankful after a long wait we now have this little gem to add to our collection

PS Paul the official site may have wiped there hands of this cd, but i am sure they will still except the royalty cheque and why not

I am in the same boat as Phil and enjoying it. You can tell though what Steve was talking about when he compared his singing pre & post Phantom of the Opera. Here he sounds like his voice is really having a battle on it's hands, which is NOT saying he does not sound superb.
Re the definitive version of the original album. Very happy to hear the bit of spoken word at the very end of the album. I just checked 'original Albums' release and it was there as well but I cannot find the original CD release but I am pretty sure it was not there. Am I right?

Great to have the Definitive Edition and really hope Timeless Flight is next on the list! I think your right Wout, I don't remember George Fords spoken words at the end of the reissued cds of Best Years previously!