Return to Website

www.harleyfanzone.com

Webmaster: PeterJH

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone go to Brum??

Haven't seen any reviews of the Birmingham concert at all.Everyone is still talking about the RAH gig.Just curious as to how it went? On the subject of the Albert Hall, must say it was a vast improvement on Birmingham last year.Wonder if Steve has regrets about releasing that concert so quickly onto CD/DVD because his Manchester and London efforts were so much better with hardly a lyric missed. Again we fail to capture the very best of Steve live after so many efforts to release them officially onto disc. Thank god for Youtube where we can at least enjoy the RAH concert again and again. Highlights for me were Death Trip, Ritz which lacked something at Birmingham. This time they felt right and sounded amazing! Wonder if the proposed Autumn concerts are the ones where Steve will perform the entire Best Years album live?? Look forward to that.

Re: Anyone go to Brum??

On another subject Paul,would be interested to know your thoughts on the Best Years Definitive Edition release?

Yeah, we went to Brum and it was great.
Alas our seats, though exactly the same as in RAH, were some of the worst in the Symphonie Hall. Very bad acoustics, could hardly hear Harley and the orchestra was a mash! After the break I was lucky enough to be able to occupy an empty seat in first row center and there the sound was much better and I finally could enjoy the concert. Seemed to me, Steve was in a slightly better mood, a bit more relaxed, talked a bit more. Music and singing were as great as the night before. Highlight for me was obviously when Steve threw me his harmonica and mentioned I could put it on ebay. Hahaha.
First word when I met him after the concert: I want it back! Hahahahaha, such a joker!
So I am biased. I think the audience and the atmosphere in RAH were better, but both were brilliant concerts.

The definitive release is excellent especially the live concert. Still prefer the way Steve used to deliver the songs live back in 74/75/76 as opposed to now.Perhaps he's just lost the angst and the anger he once had.

I agree with your comment regarding preferring delivery of the songs back then Paul. But back then he was a young man, on fire, arrogant, raw, magnetic and on the edge. Today he still cuts the mustard, but not in the same way. He still has a fantastic distinctive voice, but has toned down the theatrics. And rightly so. He still has a fantastic stage presence.

As for the Best Years deluxe, it's a treasure. I still can't believe we've had the Anthology with its demos etc, with this Best Years release being the icing on the cake. How long had we been wanting an official release of Between The Lines? I can't believe we have these after so long.

Then there's been the incredible (legendary) Menagerie/Psychomodo shows.

It's like a dream. Such a dream.

Quite right Peter, it's wrong to expect the same sort of vocal delivery from Steve these days. Imagine the 'scared' screams from Back to the Farm. He'd do himself an injury!! That's why it's nice to see Between the Lines getting an 'official' DVD release at long last. But why no 'Starfighter'?? The other half of the concert with Mad Moonlight/Panorama/Back to the Farm/Mr.Soft/Judy Teen etc.Still not sure of the origins of this movie. Was it the USA version of Between the Lines?? Why wasn't it all packaged together as a 1 hour DVD release? Can't complain thou because we have been spoiled by the recent Menagerie/Psychomodo concerts. If he go's on to perform Best Years and Timeless Flight live in the future there will be plenty to look forward to.