ATL - HANK WILLIAMS MESSAGE BOARD AND FORUM

www.tinyurl.com/alabamatalkline

"It's All about Hank" Feel free to post a message about Hank Williams and His Music.

Unfortunately, due to heavy SPAM, we have been obliged to LOCK this forum.
If you wish to post a message, send email to internetaction@yahoo.com and we will post it for you.

Alabama Talk Line Message Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
70 years ago, Hank Williams recorded iconic ‘I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry’ in Cincinnati

70 years ago, Hank Williams recorded iconic ‘I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry’ in Cincinnati

It was Aug. 30, 1949, when Hank Williams recorded some of his most iconic songs at a downtown Cincinnati music studio.

Friday marks 70 years since "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" was recorded at downtown Cincinnati's E.T. Herzog Recording Company, now an unassuming building at 811 Race Street.

A historic marker now sits outside the studio, recognizing Williams' two recording sessions at Herzog.

The first -- on Dec. 22, 1948 -- brought hits like "Lovesick Blues" to the world. The second session in 1949 birthed hits such as "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," ""I Just Don't Like This Kind of Livin'," "A House Without Love" and "My Bucket's Got a Hole In It."

Williams, considered one of the most influential American singers and songwriters, was just 25 when he recorded in Cincinnati.

While his catalog is extensive, "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" stands out among the crowd. It's a mournful ballad of loneliness pieced together with a simple melody and eloquent lyrics.

Rolling Stone ranked it among its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, the oldest song on the list, and No. 3 on its 100 Greatest Country Songs of All Time.

On Friday, 70 years after the recording, dozens will gather at the site of the historic recording.

In association with The Cincinnati Musical Heritage Foundation and The Hank Williams Museum, the first-ever Hank Williams Songwriter Showcase at Herzog Studio.

The showcase will pay tribute to Williams at the very place where he recorded one of the most iconic songs in American music history.

The event will feature several historical experts and well as performers Joey Allcorn, Bobby Tomberlin, Josh Morningstar, W.D. Miller, Amanda Lynn Maybry as well as Bradand Tammy Sue Magness.

The event will be held 7-11 p.m.