Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The bumsters

So you're not going? That's a real shame! Out of our party of six, it's only my husband who gets really upset and frustrated at the hassle. I expect it has something to do with personality type. Jules told everyone his name was Elvis, and was chuffed to bits when everyone started calling him that on the street. Shane went one further, he said he was David Beckham, and got besieged by autograph hunters, whom he very happily obliged. I like to try and out-talk them, to not let them get a word in edgewise, and to try and get THEM to give me money, clothes, etc. Sometimes I just listen to my personal stereo and wave at people who bug me, because I can't hear a word they're saying. Some bumsters are very funny, anyway, and make me laugh. Some are charming, some don't even ask for money. Some are children. None are agressive. That's life. The important point to remember is that these are people, just like you and I, only living under far less favourable conditions.

As for not leaving the hotel in the evenings, we were very lucky in having a Gambian rep the first time we visited. When we asked if it was safe to go out at night, he was both insulted and puzzled. Just take a torch.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi I was going to holiday in the Gambia with my family for the first time in Feb 04. Shortly after booking in December 03 i came across this GTS web site and began reading with interest, but the mentioned bumsters and their scams caused me some concern. 'Never mind' i thought, I will join the GTS and hire their guides when necessary. (The GTS are doing an excellent job).

I am not ignorant to the fact that this is a poor country and i also did a bit of research on the Gambia before booking. Never the less was still in two minds about the holiday after reading the info on the GTS web site. The only reason for this is the fact of being hassled by bumsters every time i left the hotel.My fears have just been backed up by a customer of mine who has just returned and tells me she will not be returning!!

I told her that i was holidaying there next year and asked her why, 'Yes the bumsters' and being advised to stay in the hotel after dark. She told me that she didn't get any peace and is glad to be back home 'the bumsters were just to much'. When i mentioned this to my family it finally made up there minds to change destinations for next year. My question is: Why cant the police do more about the bumsters as it is plain to see that it is so bad for tourisum and the Gambia is losing so much potential income. Also the GTS is losing out in membership fees, as i for one was going to join but now of course there is no need. Just wondering how many other people reading about the bumsters have decided not to holiday in the Gambia?

Also when will there be a better solution to this problem?

Re: Re: The bumsters

I have just returned from a second visit to the Gambia in four months. I am very sad that you have decided not to go, I agree with everyone else that the bumsters are not threatening in anyway you have to learn how to deal with them. I used to tease them and ask them for their clothes, etc. We were out everynight even going to the 'local' bars with Gambians, they are truly wonderful people. Of course there are the normal 'bad' ones but honestly don't we just get that everywhere! Do yourself a favour, join GTS, go for a week and I'm sure you will love it.

My partner and me are going for 6 months we love it so much.

Good luck

Replying to:

So you're not going? That's a real shame! Out of our party of six, it's only my husband who gets really upset and frustrated at the hassle. I expect it has something to do with personality type. Jules told everyone his name was Elvis, and was chuffed to bits when everyone started calling him that on the street. Shane went one further, he said he was David Beckham, and got besieged by autograph hunters, whom he very happily obliged. I like to try and out-talk them, to not let them get a word in edgewise, and to try and get THEM to give me money, clothes, etc. Sometimes I just listen to my personal stereo and wave at people who bug me, because I can't hear a word they're saying. Some bumsters are very funny, anyway, and make me laugh. Some are charming, some don't even ask for money. Some are children. None are agressive. That's life. The important point to remember is that these are people, just like you and I, only living under far less favourable conditions.

As for not leaving the hotel in the evenings, we were very lucky in having a Gambian rep the first time we visited. When we asked if it was safe to go out at night, he was both insulted and puzzled. Just take a torch.

Replying to:

Hi I was going to holiday in the Gambia with my family for the first time in Feb 04. Shortly after booking in December 03 i came across this GTS web site and began reading with interest, but the mentioned bumsters and their scams caused me some concern. 'Never mind' i thought, I will join the GTS and hire their guides when necessary. (The GTS are doing an excellent job).

I am not ignorant to the fact that this is a poor country and i also did a bit of research on the Gambia before booking. Never the less was still in two minds about the holiday after reading the info on the GTS web site. The only reason for this is the fact of being hassled by bumsters every time i left the hotel.My fears have just been backed up by a customer of mine who has just returned and tells me she will not be returning!!

I told her that i was holidaying there next year and asked her why, 'Yes the bumsters' and being advised to stay in the hotel after dark. She told me that she didn't get any peace and is glad to be back home 'the bumsters were just to much'. When i mentioned this to my family it finally made up there minds to change destinations for next year. My question is: Why cant the police do more about the bumsters as it is plain to see that it is so bad for tourisum and the Gambia is losing so much potential income. Also the GTS is losing out in membership fees, as i for one was going to join but now of course there is no need. Just wondering how many other people reading about the bumsters have decided not to holiday in the Gambia?

i went to the gambia christmas time and had a brilliant time, in fact i had the 'time of my life'! with regards to the bumsters i felt it was just a case of getting used to it. i never felt afraid and actually came to enjoy the frendly banter that would go on, i saw it as an opportunity to really get to know the people. yes they are very poor and yes they will try to con you and even ask for your shoes when you leave, cos of course you wont need them! but they are a pleasure to talk to. my family and i often went out of the complex, we enjoyed the restaurants and bars and didnt have any problems.

I never felt afraid to say no to the bumsters although i am a bit soft and tended to give in, but what is the big deal of being conned out of 20p anyway.

I thoroughly engoyed my holiday, i was apprehensive before going but i found it a totally refreshing experience, and it is nice to actually make friends that are worth going back for.

Replying to:

Belinda, I hope you have now received the email I sent - I told you there'd be replies to this entry and so far none to make you decide not to visit Gambia.

It's in the hotel's financial interests to keep guests in at night and the bumsters provide a great 'threat' to put tourists off leaving the hotel at any time.

If you are not keen on meeting people then Gambia is not the place for you, but if you enjoy foreign countries because they they are different and not only for the sun, then Gambia is one of the best places I can think of.

Only 6 hours from the UK

No Jet Lag or Deep Vein Thrombosis

English is the official language

Incredibly cheap for what you get in return

Amazing Birdlife, Fishing, beaches and culture

Friendly people

Fantastic weather

Just Unbeatable

I think you and the family have miss out, I hope you'll reconsider and try Gambia next time.

Francis

GTS UK

Replying to:

I know this is probably far to late for you to change your mind again, but please do not let your friends experience in Gambia put you off going. My wife and I have just returned from having the best two weeks holiday we have had and we have been to most places. Do not listen to holiday reps telling you not to go out at night and to remain in your hotel. We used a local taxi driver as our guide for the two weeks and he took us every where day and night. At times and in most places being the only white faces around. Bumsters are a way of life but can be persuaded to leave you alone if on the beach by walking in the water. The people are friendly and only want to talk. You will have more problems walking through any major UK city than you will ever come across in Gambia. Some hotels pay bumsters money to pester you in the hope you will remain in your hotel. Ignore them. We spent a great time at a night club (we are in our 50s) with over 400 people crammed into it and it was far safer and less threatening than any European night club. Take my advice and book your holiday. Good luck Mick Hempshall

Replying to: