Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new comer

Hi Everyone, We are visiting Gambia Bengal very soon, wondering if anyone has any general advise? What to do and not to do....

Is there anything we can bring that would be helpful for schools or medical? (obviously we only have our luggage allowance...)

many thanks
Lou

Re: new comer

Hi Lou, the best advice is to trawl back through this forum and just read about it! For anyone visiting for the first time please remember this is a third world country and you will have to expect things to be totally different from "ordinary" med type holidays. The place is really brilliant...I don't know where you are staying but there are several pockets of hotels along the coast, the main one being the Senegambia area. The "strip" is the main road where there are numerous bars, restuarants, night clubs etc and all are really good fun where you can meet many people. Great for late nights and watching the world go by.Try Ali Baba Garden for a quiet drimk and a dance to the resident band! Please be aware that to the average Gambian we are millionaires on holiday and everyone wants a bit of your cash. This can be as open as asking you outright or "palling" up with you as a "friend"...nevertheless you will have to be on your guard as they will take very penny and come back for more. Be firm, have a chat on but tell them to go when you have had enough. Persitence is the name of their game and believe me when I say we have all been "done" at some stage.
Simple walking along the beach will attract all sorts to you so be ware. It might help to have an official guide for a day or two to help you through..GTS can arrange this if you want it.
Also watch out for taxis. There are Tourist Taxis outside the hotels (expensive). Green and yellow taxis on ranks everywhere else ( cheaper) and the bush taxis..basically 12 seaters that stop on demand on the main roads very cheap and good fun. Stop them and tell them where you want to go and they will keep you right. Always full of locals as well as tourists and everyone chats on.
Food and drink is as good as you will get anywhere..Try the beach bars for a cool beer and grilled fish and chicken. Really good value and safe to eat. Some don't have "proper" toilets but you will survive! (bucket of water to sluice the bowl and wash your hands with!)
The main thing is enjoy it. Many people never go once...Don't be put off by first impressions. Give your senses a couple of days to adjust and you will love it.Watch the airport . The customs and porters can be a bit of a nuisance. If you do use one,give no more than 50p or £1 no matter what they ask for!
And importantly, try and spend your cash with local businesses, not the reps in the hotels. You can get a much better deal with local trip operators and see more!
Have a good one!
When are you going? We are off on the 31st Jan. Can't wait, its our 10th time!

Hi Lou

my best advise is to take some anti bacterial hand gel (we use cuticura Anti-Bacterial Hand Hygiene Gel) as Bill has already mentioned some of the toilets are not very good..and these little bottles were a god send..apparently they kill 99.9 percent of bacteria and u only need a small bottle which lasted us for 2 weeks. They dry instantly on your hands... :)

I have also got to plug this tour opperator "abdul tours also known as arch tours"

brilliant...based on the senegambia strip.

http://www.abdulsafari.nl/

we only payed half our money for the trip upfront and were told that if we didnt enjoy the tour we would not have to pay the rest of the money. The meals provided were great and we could drink as much beer and soft drinks/water as we liked and didnt have to pay any extra...everything was included in the price. Much better then the big tour opperators and the guides are brilliant. I wish I had known about them at the beginning of our holiday.

Hi All, thank you very much for the advise...we have done some research and appreciate Gambia is a third world country and will be different to our other holiday experiences. We obviously want to have a nice relaxing time but would also like to be responsible tourists and support the local community's.

All advise is gratefully recieved.

Best wishes
Lou

Re: Re: new comer - show GTS some support

Lou, you've come to the right forum for impartial and sound advice on your trip to the Gambia!

I don't think there's been enough praise for GTS and the services it offers recently though so come on everyone (regular posters and newbies alike!)lets all show Francis and the GTS/GETS gang that we do care and that we're not buying into what has become a sort of whisper campaign on other forums!

Hi All

This forum has been very informative and helpful. I especially appreciate the local map.

Looking forward to our visit...and the sunshine...

many thanks to all
Lou

Re: Re: new comer

Have a great time..go see Helen, Fran & Kumba in the GTS/GETSuk office & try ur hand at beating Adam on the pool table! EASY!!

www.getsuk.org/membership/getsnewsletters.htm