Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Credit crunch eventually caught up with The Gambia..

Credit crunch is certainly a flaming nuisance when you're trying to run a small charity - a double whammy. Prices in The Gambia have increased and the value of the pound has declined. It costs a fortune to buy a bag of rice via Bayba now. Donations are harder to come by and purchase less.
Best wishes to all and hope for better times to come!

Re: Re: Credit crunch eventually caught up with The Gambia..

How do you buy rice via Bayba?

Re: Re: Re: Credit crunch eventually caught up with The Gambia..

Sorry - should have been clearer! 1) find out who needs rice! 2)Visit any branch of Barclay's bank and deposit cost of rice + £5 fee into Baya account, 3) Ring Bayba English office & give details of deposit and name of person hungry for the rice and receive in return a code number, 4) call hungry person, give him/her the code, 5) Hungry person goes to Bayba office in The Gambia, gives code, receives the money and buys rice ...
Same day transaction. Sorry also for teaching grandmothers to suck eggs - not my intention!
Best wishes,
Tom.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Credit crunch eventually caught up with The Gambia..

Tom is that a bit 'long winded?'
Surely money straight to Western Union is better? or are you just trying to keep admin/sending costs down?
What are you sending now for a decent bag ( ie.25kg Broken Vietnamese) at present. Just when I get in next week I want to hit the ground running on prices etc.
N,dank N,dank
Dawda
PS Anyone tasted the bread from Kanilai Bakery yet on Pipeline? I have never seen such a good marketing programme in the Gambia at the launch of a business.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Credit crunch eventually caught up with The Gambia..

Passed the shop yesterday and couldn't resist it. Bought some lovely fresh crusty bread. Not seen any advertising for it because I have no tv.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Credit crunch eventually caught up with The Gambia..

Dawda - yes! I do tend to go on a bit but I thought there might be somebody unfamiliar with the joys of Bayba! I ran a trial with Western Union and Bayba was quicker - same day at no extra cost. Rice seems to be selling at 900GD per bag.
Best wishes for your trip,
Tom.