Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Malaria

Thanks Tom for advice yes i've bought Malorone yes expensive but like idea of less side effects also no need to take for 7 days after return

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Yes yes yes! Mozzies don't care how long you stay!
I've found Malarone to be effective and without side effects. Pricey, though!
Next question?
Have a great time - may be the first of many visits!
Tom.

Re: Re: Re: Malaria

that was a bit sarcastic ! I just know that SOMETIMES advice is given to have protection only if your camping out or going off road - thanks anyway !

Re: Malaria

Ive just got my Doxyc. from the chemist and it was £12
compared to about £70 for Malarone. And, Doxyc protects you from a host of other infections such as holiday diahorrea etc!
You still need a private doctors prescription for it!

Re: Re: Malaria

THANKS for info unfortunatly just bought MALORONE which cost me £52 but..... less side effects and it kills the egg before it hatches ! also you only need to take it for 7 days after you come home ,this was for 7 day holiday

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Ive just got my Doxyc. from the chemist and it was £12
compared to about £70 for Malarone. And, Doxyc protects you from a host of other infections such as holiday diahorrea etc!
You still need a private doctors prescription for it!

Electricity supply in Hotels

Please can anyone tell me what type of plug i need to take for my mossie killer ? Think its same as ours but unsure ..... Thanks

Re: Malaria

If you take Doxycyline it does state that you should avoid direct sunlight. I only ever took it on one visit to the Gambia, I burnt on the first day and was advised, as were many others who had the same problem, to stop taking them straight away. It takes 4 days for the drug to leave the system. I had to spend 4 days sitting in the shade and obviously was unprotected against Malaria. I know Malorone is expensive but it does the trick. I am lucky because my Doctor prescribes it on the NHS!!

Re: Re: Malaria

Different reactions for different people when It comes to Anti-maleria tablets. Ive taken Doxycyline on 3 trips to the Gambia and I havent had a single problem with them. I think its just what ever suits the person best.