Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Passports

Hi Tom, I hav enot heard of anyone having such a problem. I had the usual delays with customs brining in personal items, we flew with SN Brussels which give a very generous 46 kilos per person 8 kilos cabin allowance and a laptop per person.

We had no problem filling our cases and Filly brought back a food mixer and a breadmaker etc etc etc - but customs wanted duty on all the items as if we were importing them for sale which we weren't.

It would be far less stressful if there was really clear information on this sort of thing but I guess it is more lucrative to have things like this unclear.

I had the same kind of problems when I brought some shock absorbers for my car. The new bycicle didn't cause any problem...

It's beyond my understanding.

I think that I have read it in the Thomas Cook information that you can not travel wordwide (outside Europe) unless your passport has longer than 6 months left, the last time I changed my passport they added the extra time on, I appield 8 months before it was due to expire and got the 8 months added back on. I am not sure but I think it gets checked in the UK end before you board rather than the other end.

Thomas Cook are playing tough over extra baggage for the charity this time.
My passport has only a couple of months left so I've taken note of what you say and applied for renewal on line, which seems (fingers crossed!) fairly simple.
Thanks for your replies,
Tom.

Passport Validity

Gambian authorities require that passports have a minimum of three months' validity. See Foreign Office link:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/sub-saharan-africa/gambia-the