THE MORRISTON FORUM

A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: Morriston Park War Memorial

Hi, I see you have the men who were killed from Morriston, John Davies 2nd/5th Bn East Lancashire Regt, his name is on the wall at Pozieres Cemetary, no grave. You have him buried at Chauncy extention. John was my grandfather , we knew him as missing.Can you please explain what Chauncy is

Thanks Kathy

Hi Kathy

The Davies Js were a problem when researching!!!By the time of the book, "Morriston It Did Its Bit" Private John Davies of the 5th East Lancs had been corrected to being listed on the Pozieres Memorial. He was killed in action on the first day of the Spring offensive in 1918. Although born in Morriston we found he lived with his wife on a farm in Llansamlet (so checking Morriston Census did not help) . We found his image which appeared in a local newspaper to report him missing.
There were a handful of changes made to the original postings on the thread because of the common surnames. Davies vied with Thomas for the most.There were more Davies with Morriston connections not listed too.

Len

Len, Do you have his image now or how I can access the newspaper. Been trying for years to get an image , no photos in the family of John. My Granny who married again in 1922 , lived in Neath Road . I have been researching my grandad for years, when Mum was alive we tried everything but before computers. When I had a computer found him on the Commomwealth war graves , sad but Mum had passed away by then. I would love to see his photo.

John joined up in 1914 but was discharged 3 months later as he had bad teeth and dyspepsia . He must have been in the Territorials and was posted to 2/5 Bn East Lancs. I wrote to Eadt Lancs they fave me lots of info about the battle where John died but sadly no photo of him. There was a photo of him in uniform above the fireplace in Grans house but what happened to it is anyones guess.

Hopefully you can help me with the newspaper and fingers crossed an image.

Many thanks Kathy

The image most likely was in the "scroll of honour" lists reported on the Cambria Daily Leader some day after his death on 21 March, probably in April. The CDL can be searched online https://newspapers.library.wales/
If you want to get a copy of the book, e mail me and I can give you details.

1 2 3