A discussion area for all things concerning Morriston
THE MORRISTON FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Morriston History

Hello Catherine

Are you still interested in the Hanney Band?

I bought a job lot of THE MORRISTON OTHER TIMES Community Newspaper at a sale held at Swansea Museum in October but have only just got around to reading through them. Having noticed your email on the Forum a couple of days ago, I wondered if you would like a copy of an article entitled The Famous Hanney Band, written by Mrs Marjorie Uren, which appeared in the paper in the late 70’s/early 80’s. It has five photos as well as the text. It is 2 x A3 sheets, so it is too big for my scanner. However, if you would like a copy, I would be happy to get it photocopied and put it in the post for you.

Regards Jane

Hi Jane, I would definitely be interested in that! Please could you send a copy of the article to me? I'd be very grateful. Is there a way I can send a private message to you with my address? Thank you! Poppy

Hi Melanie, If memory serves me right weren't the Hanneys Salvation Army members in Morriston I don't have much information, but if every little bit helps then this is what I have, From 1964 I was Musical Director of the Clydach Amateur Operatic Society and the trombone Player in the Morgan Lloyd Orchestra was a Mr Hanney (same family) I don't know his Christian name, sorry.

Hi all. I would love to see more photos of the Hanney family band, and Hanney family generally. I recently found a small article and a couple of pictures in the clanhanney newsletter - it includes a picture of the Hanney band with George Hanney and a picture of his funeral procession.

https://clanhannay.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Clan-Hannay-Newsletter-2011.pdf
If anyone has found more info and pics please share the link!
Thanks
Karen

Also, for those of you with ancestry access, there is a post with photos on a message board from a Hanney descendant with more photos, including small annotations of names. https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.hanney/95/mb.ashx
Karen

Hi. I think the name of the trombonist you were talking about was Ivor Hanney as I played with him in the Morriston and District Band was I was a kid. He was a lovely man! Hope that helps. There were many of us in the band who revered the name Hanney. I have gone on to be a professional musician and my memories of playing with the “old guard” are fabulous!

Just came across an article in the South Wales Daily Post for 22 August 1893 which reports on the Hanney Band with short biographies of five of the family members, starting with founder James from Marksbury near Bristol before moving to Morriston. George is described as the "best specimen of amateur conductors"!