Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diggers' Face Plant - WARNING TO ALL RIDERS!

Paul D had a bit of a nasty crash on the road last, leaving him bloodied and shaken (but not too broken, I hope). This came as a result of some sudden, unexpected braking in front of him.
It may be worth mentioning that when riding in a bunch, it's good etiquette to call obstacles, sharp turns, etc from the head of the pack, and more importantly for those further down the pack, to relay the call ('left/right turn!', 'heads!', 'posts!', 'slowing!', etc), so the riders at the back are aware of things happening ahead. It's very difficult to ride with a limited view of the road/trail without these cues, so PLEASE EVERYONE, DON'T BE SHY: CALL OUT ANY HAZARDS!

SPEEDY RECOVERY PAUL

Re: Diggers' Face Plant - WARNING TO ALL RIDERS!

Completely agree with Mark. Last nights turn was called & indicated so should have been repeated down the pack. It is also the responsibility of any rider to leave enough space between them selves and others so that it allows for uneven braking/turning.... a bit like on a motor way when one car brakes a bit then as the action goes further down the line the immediacy of the slowing becomes more violent & can catch people out.
Call the turns, branches etc (as we always use to, ALL the time), leave plenty of room around your selves.
This is reconised as an inverse version of 'Clems law'

Ouch - speedy recovery Paul!

Sorry to hear it, Paul. Hope it's not too bad.

PT

Ouch! Hope you recover quickly Paul.

Richard

Thanks guys

I'm not too bad - the blood was just road rash, but I can't bend my right knee much or lift my right arm above the shoulder and my left thumb is a bit u/s. Won't be out tomorrow but as long as the thumb isn't actually broken I'll hopefully be out again next week.

Paul

Wow, bad luck Paul. speedy recovery.
it's a good job i was not out too or i may have been the one to hit the deck!

so i guess this just shows the dangers of dabbling with the dark side for those who are true MTB riders, stick to the trails and leave the road alone.

Make sure you get a good photo ! speedy recovery, I have some good physio exercises for sore shoulders !

If you do have any pictures, send them to:-

mbr@ipcmedia.com

marked "Old Blokes and Girls Who Should Know Better".

We're lax - we should have someone in there by now!

PT

Speedy recovery....i still don't think you have bettered my face plant on Anna's hen night in full regalia!...but it was a valiant attempt....PS a pink tutu would have finished it off and got you a 10!

My sympathy Paul -- I did a faceplant against a tree on the Spooky Woods Descent in Glentress over the weekend, so I'm scarred as well!