Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2 new members??

Hi guys,

me and kylee are hoping to join you tomorrow,

2 things:

Kylee is wondering what speed you guys go at? She's in good shape but not an experienced cyclist!

Is there car parking near the cross keys? We're a bit far to cycle from (especially when adding the 20 miles)!

Thanks,

Dan

Re: 2 new members??

Hi Dan,
the group is a mixed pace, but we have a policy of not leaving anyone behind....unless they are a regular that can look after themselves.

i will be out tomorrow and i generaly ride at the back so dont worry about the speed.

just turn up at the start and say hello to anyone you find looking like a cyclist.

parking is possible in the local streets but if you are worried about your car there is the Queen Anne car park just down the road next to the swimming pool and fire station, just watch out for the roof if you have the bikes on the top of the car.

Re: 2 new members??

Hi Dan and Kylee,

We have varying speeds from the balls-out, maniac fast to the ponderously sedate...well almost.

We have a strong ethic that we wait for slower riders and look after newbies, and most of the time we stick to that.

So please come along and join us. I sometimes find parking difficult - I usually park in Brookside or nearby, but there's usually space a little further down by the Botanic Gardens in Trumpington Street. Alternatively, some now park at the pub and cycle in, it just means starting earlier.

See you tomorrow night. And don't forget your lights!

Pasty Tom