Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Calling Katie and Duncan

Hi Guys, i have just got my training plan for the next 4 weeks and one ride is causing me some cause for concern.

i have been put down for a 5 hour "Fartlek" MTB ride on Saturday 8th May.

my questions are:-
1) are you both going to be doing a long distance ride that saturday?
2) would you be up for some company that day?
3) do you ride for that length of time?
4) if you are not available/up to rding that day i there anyone else interested in a ride of that duration at a Duncan and Katie pace.

Re: Calling Katie and Duncan

Hi Pat,
Will be able to manage it at some time during that weekend but the 8th is Rachels birthday. 'Fartlek'...... well if you supply the milk I'm sure I'll be able to manage the .......
We usually ride 3.5- 8hrs dependant on time restrictions. Are you allowed to do more than 5hrs or does the time need to be exact ?
The only condition is that you will only be allowed to use one gear......... Of our choosing :-)

Ding dong, could probably do the sunday too if that suits. Will check with james. Yes, one gear Pat !

that is good news!
timing will need to be 5 hours ...or maybe 6 but no more than that or less than 5. if you are going off for more than 6 i can head back early!

i could ride the sunday if i book this far ahead...just means the monday and tuesday rides will be harder.

1 gear.....Hmm, i did that in the cold snap in Jan and it caused me a lot of grief but i could give it a go. anyway i still have 3 on the front

i will catch up a bit closer to the time to see if it is still ok or not

thanks guys.

Hi Guys, Sunday is ok to ride. i would say 5 hours is not exact no, i can ride a bit longer if i like but it will affect my ride on the monday and tuesday.

i have been doing a bit of "over training" anyway, lets call it warm up and warm down, and a spare bit for when i burn off the other riders i overtake

any thoughts on a time to start? earlier the better for me, say 8am to 9am? and any idea of a location to meet? it seems a little unfair for you both to come to Cambridge just to meet me, i could head out to you, say the royal oak in Barington?

as for gears i am going to have to bring them all as they get lonely....but i promice not to use too many

Fartlek...this is an unstuctured interval session....but i have no guidance in how many intervals and how intense, so i guess it is go with the flow, if one of you sprint off i will have to try and hunt you down if i can, and if i have the legs to spare then i may go for a burn and then let you catch up again, as i say it is very informl.

Monday on the other hand is more structured. i have to ride for 2 hours in zone 3. that is going to be a shock to the system as everything has been zone 2 up to now. here comes the speed work. Tuesday is 2 hours of interval training, 5 blocks of 5 mins at prety much flat out.......Medic!