Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New starter?

Hi there,

I have been living around these parts, well Royston, for over a year now and am relatively new to biking in the area. I cycle to work a few times a week (15 miles road riding) and do some trails as and when I can but im keen to get some more miles and some better off-roading under my belt. Are you guys still open to new members and if so, is there anything glaringly obvious that I will need to know that I have missed. I would like to add that as an Irishman I fully condone the addition of alcohol and pub visits to any sport! Thanks a lot for your time

Re: New starter?

Hi Marc,

We are like minded regarding the pub stops / alcohol loading, it has even been known to visit more than one pub in a night……although it is difficult to get the motivation to move on once a watering hole has been reached.

Some of the riders drive to the pub first, then ride to the start in Cambridge as that allows for a quicker way of getting home rather than the extra 30 to 40 mins ride into town after the pub and the parking charges. But the choice is yours.

I would draw your attention to the blurb next to the picture at the top and to the top post about lights.

If you do not have suitable lights, and normal commuter lights won’t cut the mustard in a dark field at night, then if you post on the forum soon enough there is usually someone with a spare set that will let you use them for a ride or two while you decide if you can/want to ride with us and invest in the latest set of Lupine Betty lights