Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Newbie Alert!

Hi everyone/anyone,

I've just moved to Cambrige would like to dust off my MTB which has been in storage for 2 years (been living abroad). I'd like to join you guys at some point if that's ok?! Is the ride on tomorrow (Tuesday 6th)?

I haven't done any night riding before so haven't got any beefy lights...yet. So if there's anyone out there who would be willing to lend me a set for a night, I'd owe you one (drink that is).

Failing that, can anyone recommend a good/cheap bike shop (either online or locally) where I could find some?

On that note, what can anyone recommend for up to/around £200. I was considering L&M stella 300 duals...

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b116s37p5980&rs=gb

Cheers,

Hope you see some of you soon.

Frazer

Re: Newbie Alert!

Hi Frazer,
i'm not riding this week but i'm sure someone else will post and offer to lend lights to you.

i and a couple of other riders use Ay-Up lights. they got 10/10 in MBR about 18 months back and in my opinion give outstanding light output for the price. they also have batteries that last forever on a ride, and have survived numerous crashes and soakings without complaint.

http://www.ayup-lights.com/
http://www.uk.ayup-lights.com/products/categories/2/

one word of warning, these guys are in Australia and you may get hit with import tax unless you can get them shipped through soneone you know in OZ. read their shipping details carefuly to avoid any nasty supprises.

with joysticks it seems almost everyone in the group who has one, says they are great versatile lights, but almost everyone has had to send them back for waranty repairs.

your money your choice.

hi frazer. There are so many options and some brilliant lights for as little as £50. I use light and motion which yes are good but there not the cheapest. I strongly suggest you look at all the different types each of us use, discuss their various values and make your mind up. I can lend u a light if needed twoplumbers at g m a i l dot c o m

Another newbie here, well sort of. I rode last year when I was in Cambridge and though I'd come along again if thats ok?

Hi Duncan,

I sent you a mail, not sure if you got it?

Anyway, if you're going on the ride tonight it'd be great to borrow a light. Otherwise I should have my own by Thursday and will maybe come along then.

Thanks,

Frazer