Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking for a SH MTB

Hi All,

I am thinking of joining the club, but I realized that I would need to buy a mountain bike before! :) Could anyone help me? I am looking for a second hand one at around 150£.

Thank you!
Catalin

Re: looking for a SH MTB

Hi Catalin, In what you have in mind on a second hand bike I really feel you wont get alot for your money, however you might get lucky, try ebay or gumtree or even try the Police web site called Bumblebee which are stolen bikes that hav'nt been claimed. Good luck in your search and hopefully we will see you join the group soon. Shelton

Re: looking for a SH MTB

Hi Catalin,

Although £150 won't get you much, as Shelton says, there are bargains to be had this time of year as people start to look at buying new 2011 bikes and selling on their old ones.

Best to look on-line including Ebay - take a look at Trek MTB's on there as there's plenty of choice starting quite cheaply. If you can stretch to £200 or a little more, you can get something more rideable for the conditions we encounter. Always best to shop around.

Once you've chosen your bike, you'll need a helmet and lights as a minimum. Helmets start very cheap (and not too bad) at Tesco while you might be able to borrow some lights from a member of the group.

Happy riding!

Pasty Tom