Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Balance bikes

Hello,
Does anyone have an Islabikes Rothan or one of the smallest Puky balance bikes that I could try Eddie on to see if he is tall enough??

I want to get him a balance bike for his 2nd birthday, but he is a shortie and I am worried he is too small. Have heard the Puky one is particularly small but specs say height from 85 cm and he is only 78. Simiarly he is too short for the inside leg measurement of the Rothan. He's tried little Lyon's Ridgeback Scoot and he's too short at the mo.

Also if anyone has one that is grown out of would be interested in buying second hand.

Cheers
Claire

PS I will be out on a ride soon(ish).

Re: Balance bikes

Hi Claire,
Don't worry about it, just buy the Rothan. Ferg was also of limited stature (apparently that's PC) He rode his Rothan from 18 months & could not get enough of it. I/he prefered the Rothan because the bars are lower & flat which gave Ferg alot of control, it is also very light. Downside is that the Rothan comes with one seat post & not two (like the Skoot) & so I bought another post for £6, cut it down & everything was hunky Dory !!. oh yeah prob with long posts on these bikes is that when the seat is low & they are jumping on & off kerbs, doing radical drop offs, manuals, etc it can ground out & so eject them rather violently.
We sold Fergs Rothan about two months ago for £65. sixteen month old William, it's new owner took one look at it and said NO... ten minutes later he was lapping it up & now you can't keep him off it & is flying about like Danny Pedrosa. Would def buy another Rothan (although won't be needing one......phew thank god.)
And if you ever stop producing off spring very high resale value is really good ours cost us about £20 for 14 months use.
He is now flying on the Cnoc14...ahhhh 'That's mi boy'

Re: Balance bikes

Thanks Duncan. Sounds good! I had noticed they sell for loads on eBay so should get money back after it's finished with. Am done with having kids now - hurray. Lovely as they are I am happy that I don't have to get so enormous I can't ride my mountain bike ever again. Plus no more teetotallness. And the less said about childbirth the better.